Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow VTXers. I have read about the cause of the shift seal blowing out to relieve pressure. I have done the straw trick and it everything checks out yet I still blow out the seal. Any thoughts, tips or tricks? can the tube be replaced or lengthen or rerouted in case it is kinking somehow while I ride? ? ?
Thanks for your input

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I suppose it is possible that the shift seal is work out and no longer seats firmly but this is unlikely. Much more likely is that your crankcase breather tube is getting kinked or blocked somehow. make sure you are connecting this to the right port on the back of the airbox and that the outlet of this port is not blocked. Make sure the shift seal is firmly and evenly seated. Lastly, make sure the breather hose is not blocked or capped. The tissue test should be definitive if you are doing it correctly and at the proper time. To do this test, put the airbox back on the bike and screw it into place with the three screws around the carb. Remove the oil dipstick. Place a small piece of tissue over the dipstick hole. Blow in the crankcase breather HOLE - not the rubber hose but into the hole in the back of the airbox. The tissue should be blown out of it position over the dipstick hole.

I do not think there is anything that could block the rubber breather hose hole when the air filter and cover are put back on but watch for this as you install them. Is there something weird in the air filter or cover that is blocking the breather hole in the back of the airbox?

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
It is hard to tell from the right side of the bike (right side while sitting on the seat), but if you go around to the left side and look through toward the air box back you can tell if the hose is kinked, if so just reach in and give it a gentle pull to straighten it out. I had that happen to me whille in Ohio! Pulled the air box and straightened the air hose then kinked it again in re-mounting the air box, but got it straightened out from the back side (there was a hose clamp on a line right in the middle of the engine that had grabbed the hose and wouldn't let it slide while reinstalling the air box). Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I will work on it again tomorrow and hopefully get it solved. Wish we still had the Ohio meet and greet in Marysville, Ohio. I bet one of the attendees could fix it in 30 seconds...or less. Unfortunately I am a bull in a China shop and not so good with some finesse things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts