Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing the theory of the shifter and much less the actual mechanics, what do I have here...

I'll climb on in the morning start it up, and shift from N to 1st.... being parked the night in N...
50% of the time it shifts normal with the normal mechanical noise associated with this action.

My question pertains the the other half of the time. The shift is completely silent. As if it were electronic shifting. The green N light goes out the same, the shift lever feels no different, it just an absolutely silent shift.

It doesn't worry me nor do I think anything is broke. I'm more curious about the whys and not the whats...

I sometimes also find it difficult to down shift and find 1st once its hot and on the road, but this is an issue for another day. TIA

2007 1800F

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
I wonder if it matters where the gear teeth are aligned. Perhaps when the teeth and roots are aligned, it shifts easy and quietly but when they are not aligned, there is a noise. Just a guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its really kind of weird... there's not a click, not the slightest mash noise or feel. Its as if I'm already in 1st gear when I know I wasn't as I started it stand down, off the clutch and N light glowing. In fact, I wish it shifted like that ALL the time... HONDA would really have something there....!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its really kind of weird... there's not a click, not the slightest mash noise or feel. Its as if I'm already in 1st gear when I know I wasn't as I started it stand down, off the clutch and N light glowing. In fact, I wish it shifted like that ALL the time... HONDA would really have something there....!
I can’t comment any more than the above responder did about the usual clash from N to 1st, but I have found that the VTX doesn’t mind at all if you click it into 1st while you’re slowing down and still rolling, even 10 or 15 mph, because it’s geared pretty high in first. If you try to stomp it into gear from a dead stop, it sometimes won’t be so easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts