Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1800 retro 35,000 miles when at stop will go into neutral also sometime when down shift will not go past 2nd gear.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Try cleaning the output shaft that comes out of the case. The 1800s have a problem of getting sticky here and need cleaning once in a while.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
^ ... Yeah, that too.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
Also, if you don't downshift while you slow down, your friction plates (i think thats right) are still spinning when you come to a complete stop, this will make it difficult for your tranny to go into 1st gear. When you come to a stop and this happens, get in to neutral, then let the clutch out easy, pull clutch back in, then shift down to first gear.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Ease off the clutch just a little and press straight down on shift pedal in lieu of angle with your foot. Most folks I have observed press from outside to inside on the pedal. I never had a problem after I trained myself to shift straight down on pedal. Wishing all a nice day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
+1 on clean and lube the shaft and linkage. The majority of the time this will correct the problem.
If you don't it could break and you'll have to replace the entire plate. I did mine. I take it apart each year and put moly paste on it. Takes about an hour, because I clean real good down around there.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
I was looking at Eezox for my firearms, and on-line they show a cycle spray that may, I say MAY be just the thing for our bikes (they say it is good for ATV's and MC's). While it is a chain lube and protector, it may be just the ticket for the shift linkage to keep it clean and shifting longer...I am going to get some, and try it on both the bicycle AND the VTX.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts