Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that most prefer the nylon from mcmaster because they're cheaper but some prefer the poly bushings from rattlebars.com. Then there's the honda dealer with their pitiful rubber bushings...

Which type is going to give me the best ride? Poly or Nylon or does it matter?

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I have the factory rubber om mine. But I am interested to see what other people have to say because I want to change mine out. So i will reply just so i can get emails when other poeple respond. Thanks and this is a good question by the way..:patriot:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i changed from stock bushings to McMaster nylon bushings last month. Handling improved lots. I will try the later 1800 bushings from honda which i think are poly when the McMasters get worn out. Bry

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Honda also has some poly, green in color i believe, but the stealer didn't have them in stock when i went, so i ordered from McMaster and Carr, with shipping cost, it would have been the same getting at stealer. either way, my rubber bushings were crushed, not as bad as others i've seen here, but still, my ride is much more solid now than it was. i weigh about 230 so i have my load level set at 3 instead of at 2 how it was before.
i'm happy, better ride!:coffee:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I just put the nylon McMasters on and they are fantastic. Much better control. Really cheap and delivered next day.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The McMaster is what I put on all the X's that need a change, which frankly is just about all of 'em.

On my own ride they made a solid improvement and I haven't had a complaint from anybody that I installed 'em for. Usual comment is "Wow! What an improvement."

Wren

·
Registered
875 Posts
I just can't believe that these bushing wear out after a few thousand miles. Is this normal or due to riding conditions... Just wondering.. Thanks

·
Registered
958 Posts
I just can't believe that these bushing wear out after a few thousand miles. Is this normal or due to riding conditions... Just wondering.. Thanks
Kinda like the rubber vac lines that Honda used. Wasn't exactly the best quality.

Wren

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
McMaster Nylon... makes a ton of difference... Probably never wear out...

Never tried Poly.. The rubber ones are junk... Ive had no issues with Nylon

-Gonz

·
Registered
706 Posts
I went with porous bronze, I did machine up some inserts and reamed out the tapper in the shock eyes so that they are fully floating. The stock bushing are terrible.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'm lazy. Can you give the part number of the McMaster Nylon bushings that fit the 1300 VTX? I'll order them for my brother and my bikes. Thanks. I went to their site and just was not sure which one to order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered my McMaster Bushings

I figured for only $4 I could try them out. I've heard nothing but good things about the results so I'm going for it.

I heard someone mention the VAC lines and I've had a couple of instances where my bike wouldn't start because the fuel line was not seated all the way. No leaks and no indication that the line was falling off but moving it around a bit fixed it. Should I replace the rubber lines with something else?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
ive had rattlebars stock and nylon mcmaster carr . the poly didnt last much longer than stock. the nylon is great and should last longer

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
McMaster-Carr won't mail to Canada - what :icon_bs: Anyway, we're use to that.

I'm having ones made at the local trade school machine shop out of nylon. I made a donation and they're making me a box full.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
ive had rattlebars stock and nylon mcmaster carr . the poly didnt last much longer than stock. the nylon is great and should last longer
Rattlebars has closed up shop, so it's Honda stock or McMasters-Car!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts