Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to adjust my rear suspension because it has felt very stiff to me. I had to remove the saddle bags to change them.

I had been thinking they were both set to level 5. I thought it should be set to that for two-up riding.

Anyway, because of how stiff it felt I decided to set them back to 3. Well, I found one was set to 3 and one was set to 5.

Is there any concern with this? The bike's been set like this for 3 years unless someone changed it "for me" while I had it parked somewhere... (The saddle bags are relativity new.

I might as well ask, if you have stock rear suspension, where do you set your pre-load for riding stag and for riding two up? If you have bags or a tour-pack, please note that and the type.

Thanks,
Frank

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I have mine set at "4" (I think..lol)....I prefer a bit firmer ride (and tighter handling) when riding solo, yet that gives the better half a nice cushy ride when she's riding shotgun...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Out of laziness/absentmindedness, I leave mine at 5 most of the time. I have no way to predict if Tina will want to ride with me and I usually forget to check/adjust them when she does.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
A lot depends on what you weigh and how you ride. I weigh 192 and like to cruise, and not scrape my floorboards on curves. Roads are usually pretty smooth around where i live, except in Manhattan, or Brooklyn. I set mine on two, love the ride and i dont complain about my stock seat either. :D Bry

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine live at 5 all the time. Saddle bags are mostly empty. Maybe 5lbs between them. But I'm pushing about 360, so its like many riding 2up.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
while you're checking and setting, look at your shock bushings :hmm2:!
they may need to be replaced, give yourself a treat. you'd be surprised of the better handling you feel in the rear. just my $.02

i'm a light 235, ride it on 3, usually single (but dont get me talking on that, i may start to cry, and tell you about it...it all started when...)

·
Registered
19 Posts
no bags, weigh 215 and i have mine set to ONE and have never bottomed out. i like the softest setting bc the bike sits a little lower when riding and looks good and makes for a smooth ride, its great as long as you dont freak out when the floorboards drag!

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they're not leaking you'll be fine, that all you need to check. Just reset them both to the same setting.
I haven't noticed them leaking since I set them back. But like I said, they may have been like that for a few years....

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
If they aren't leaking, push the rear of the bike down and release it. If it doesn't bounce a few times before stopping the shocks are working.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
I ran mine at 4 for a little while to try it, but went back to 3 for solo and 2 up riding. Nice ride both ways, and we go a total of about 400 when 2 up. I agree with Jerry, you are probably fine as long as they aren't leaking and are still performing well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dragging the boards just means your using the whole tire, to ensure even wear. There's one curve I drag nearly every pass. But I'm pushing a bit more than my grandpa would.

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks

If they aren't leaking, push the rear of the bike down and release it. If it doesn't bounce a few times before stopping the shocks are working.
They seem fine, thanks for the tips on what to look for.

Regards,
Frank

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
I run mine both at 5 all the time... sometimes I am retaining water, and just don't feel pretty, so I just keep 'em pumped up all the way ...:)

·
Thumper
384 Posts
At 235, I keep mine on 4. I ride solo and even at 4 I've bottomed out a couple times. I'm think about bumping them up because of that.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I keep mine on 5 but ride 2up a lot. You do want to look at the bushings though, mine were shot at 8000 miles and just replaced them with the nylon replacements from McMaster and Carr, what a difference in handling, makes the rear end very stable.

STEVE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts