Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Show Chrome Solo Rack look, however the arched design does not lend itself to carrying very much, very stable. Well prior to the Sturgis trip this year I needed a solution to carry the camp equipment and cloths etc.

So I kicked around a few options and decided that it had to meet 3 criteria:1) needed to be sturdy 2) didn't weight alot 3) didn't make me look like a Beverly Hillbilly.

After much thought and strolling the isles of Lowes, I came up with a plan. The rack would be made up of two pieces a base and a rack top. For the base I traced the arch onto a piece of cardboard and then cut two base pieces from some oak wood I had laying around. I used my dremel to notch out the oak to be fitted in the slots on the show chrome rack.

View attachment 20343

The stroll through Lowes gave me an Idea, but they didn't carry what I needed. So a stroll through Menards (a store that would be created if Walmart were to have kids with Lowes) There they had heavy duty wire shelf racking. a 24 X 18 piece for $3.00. Next were some metal drawer supports with screws. I cut it down to 13 X 14 or so. I wanted make sure my hard bag doors cleared it.

View attachment 20342

Next were some metal drawer supports with screws. I set the base supports on the SC rack and lined up my metal racking, drilled the pilot holes for the metal drawer supports and screwed it all together.

Layed a little flat black paint on it and finished.

View attachment 20341

Now all I need to do if I need a bigger carrying surface is to set the rack in place and tighten it down with two nylon straps that I cut to fit. 2 minutes to install or remove.

The wire shelf offers attach points all over, is stable, and doesn't look like a hillbilly engineered rack (long story but my 1100Ace had the hillbilly PVC tube rack, and I never heard the end of it).

It worked great out to Sturgis and back and the occasional 24 pack of adult beverage, not for me, but other people.:cheers: :drunk:.

If anyone is interested, I can send more detailed pictures, just let me know.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
9,931 Posts
My wife has the same Show Chrome rack on her VTX 1300R and if we travel any distance, we face the same problem you described. The SC rack is purely for show. I understand everything about your post except how you attach the home-built wood/shelf unit to the SC rack. Can you elaborate on that? I think you discuss using "nylon straps". If so, what size, location, and how do you cinch them tight. Thanks much and Merry Christmas.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strap detail

I use 1 inch wide nylon straps with the plastic fastener on one end. I start by weaving the loose end up through the first slot.

View attachment 20346

I then set the rack assembly in place and loop the loose end of the strap on top of the rack. It is then weaved through the far slot and feed back to the faster/buckle end meeting in the center.

View attachment 20347

Finally I put the loose end through the buckle and tighten it down as tight as I can. I then put a second strap on the back end of the rack using the same method. the loose strap I just tie together and pack and go.

View attachment 20348

·
Super Moderator
9,931 Posts
Thank you very much. I'm glad you have not patented your invention as I will be shamelessly stealing / leveraging your idea and building one for my wife's bike :) If I ever meet you, the beer is on me. Merry Christmas.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts