Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2332 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought this 2005 VTX1300c 10k miles with cobra pipes and hypercharger. Last owner had it sitting in a storage unit and passed away, so I bought it from the daughter, who said she didnt know what to do with a bike, so told her i had some ideas. :) Getting ready to add some hardbags and a fairing/batwing with stereo. Will have to upload new photos as I add to it.
20200721_180049.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts

I need help with the exhaust mod. Pulled off the back half of the exhaust and need the tools/parts required for the straight pipe mod. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,370 Posts
Could you mean that you have kept the exhaust header pipes and removed the muffler portion? If so, what do you want to do? Do you want to modify the stock muffler portion? Do you want to add on a different muffler portion? If the former, look on this site for "Clayton Mod" and you will learn how to drill holes in the stock exhaust to get a much better sound. It is not a good idea to go with "straight pipes". You need some sort of muffler to provide some back pressure for engine to work well. Regardless of the approaches taken to modifying the muffler, you will be best off if you simultaneously modify the air intake to be more free-flowing (e.g. decap the airbox) and then you will need to rejet and tune the carb using a Factory Pro jet kit. Do not use any other brand of jet kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could you mean that you have kept the exhaust header pipes and removed the muffler portion? If so, what do you want to do? Do you want to modify the stock muffler portion? Do you want to add on a different muffler portion? If the former, look on this site for "Clayton Mod" and you will learn how to drill holes in the stock exhaust to get a much better sound. It is not a good idea to go with "straight pipes". You need some sort of muffler to provide some back pressure for engine to work well. Regardless of the approaches taken to modifying the muffler, you will be best off if you simultaneously modify the air intake to be more free-flowing (e.g. decap the airbox) and then you will need to rejet and tune the carb using a Factory Pro jet kit. Do not use any other brand of jet kit.
I have removed the muffler portion, capped off the top of the jugs for the evaporative lines, and decapped the Air Box. I saw a thread where they put reducers on the ends of the header pipes (decried with rivets, I believe), and secured turn down exhaust pipes to the reducers. Just need to know the Size of reducers, aluminum vs steel Rivets, and the tips other people have used. Or, if there is another way to do straight pipes on the VTX, is like that info as well.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,706 Posts
I have removed the muffler portion, capped off the top of the jugs for the evaporative lines, and decapped the Air Box. I saw a thread where they put reducers on the ends of the header pipes (decried with rivets, I believe), and secured turn down exhaust pipes to the reducers. Just need to know the Size of reducers, aluminum vs steel Rivets, and the tips other people have used. Or, if there is another way to do straight pipes on the VTX, is like that info as well.
Several people over the years have put Emgo slip-on mufflers on the VTX. Just measure your O.D. of the end of the headers and get some of their universal slip-ons. Just have to fab a way to mount them to the stock rear bracket location.

Here's a link to a review from a 1300 owner who bought them off Amazon.

·
Too short for my weight
5,614 Posts
I have those same pipes on my C!

Reactions: LBell1987

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks MrVTX.
This bike has a ton of extras. The bags, front and rear mustang saddles, Vance and hines pipes, all the lights and indicators have been converted to clear lenses with LED's, and the turn indicators replaced with the smaller bullet style. Additional light bar, highway bars, floor boards, USB port, windscreen... the list goes on. I was fortunate enough to know the original owner. It was my wife's uncle. He passed away about 3 years ago and it's been in the sitting ever since. 63k miles, but always garaged and meticulously maintained.

I was able to get it for 3k since it wasn't running (bad gas from sitting...) other than some fuel starvation at WOT, it's running great. Thinking I need to pull the petcock and check the fuel screen in the carb. I already cleaned the jets and float bowl etc... but a hell of a great bike overall.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,706 Posts
@JeepNovaVTX Also check the carb slide diaphragm for any pinholes/cracks. You can also run some Sea Foam through a tank or two of gas to see if that helps. WOT is where the main jet comes into play, so it could have some gunk in it. If all those things check out, you may need to break the carb down for a thorough cleaning.

2301 - 2320 of 2332 Posts