Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1221 - 1229 of 1229 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
built this in between 2005 and 2007 (240 conversion, pipes, chrome stuff, forward controls, blah blah blah) then had a custody issue and became a single father with 100% custody when my daughters mother died of an OD,

So the bike got put in storage from 2007 until this past Feb, my now 17 year old daughter saved her money from her summer job last year and paid to get my VTX back up and running. She saw it sitting in the garage for 15 years and knew that I gave it up for her (didn't want to orphan her in a motorcycle accident).

Unfortunately 3 weeks ago another rider clipped me and I dropped the bike; hit and run, so it is now under repair. the tank was damaged as were the forward controls and handlebars. I was able to obtain and the parts and the insurance cut me a check for self repair, so in the next few weeks I will update with the new look.. and yes that is an OEM "F" fender that I cut and widened (and frenched in the X taillight) to fit the 240 tire.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,659 Posts
built this in between 2005 and 2007 (240 conversion, pipes, chrome stuff, forward controls, blah blah blah) then had a custody issue and became a single father with 100% custody when my daughters mother died of an OD,

So the bike got put in storage from 2007 until this past Feb, my now 17 year old daughter saved her money from her summer job last year and paid to get my VTX back up and running. She saw it sitting in the garage for 15 years and knew that I gave it up for her (didn't want to orphan her in a motorcycle accident).

Unfortunately 3 weeks ago another rider clipped me and I dropped the bike; hit and run, so it is now under repair. the tank was damaged as were the forward controls and handlebars. I was able to obtain and the parts and the insurance cut me a check for self repair, so in the next few weeks I will update with the new look.. and yes that is an OEM "F" fender that I cut and widened (and frenched in the X taillight) to fit the 240 tire.

View attachment 242830 View attachment 242831
View attachment 242832
That's a great looking bike and hats off to you for putting it aside to take care of your daughter like you did, especially for the reason. Not many men step up like that. Good job and now enjoy your bike once it's ready again. (y)

Reactions: Mr. Incredible

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's a great looking bike and hats off to you for putting it aside to take care of your daughter like you did, especially for the reason. Not many men step up like that. Good job and now enjoy your bike once it's ready again. (y)

thanks.. I love the Titanium (challenger brown) color and tribal stripes, however none of the tribal decals are available from Honda any longer and it is not cost effective to have them airbrushed or even have them remade as vinyl decals under the clear, either option is in the $3000-$4000 range.

the tank I was able to get is black, so I am going basic black and having some graphics hydro dipped on the tank and fenders, about $900 vs. $3,000. Insurance company estimated the repairs at $6,000 and the bike value at $7,800 so they wanted to total it. I opted for the max payout of 70% of the value minus my deductible to avoid being totaled, the bike has a lot of sentimental value it was a gift from my father after he passed away, plus my kid using her hard earned money to get it back to running condition this past year, needed a fuel pump, injectors and wire harness as some critter chewed up the harness.

I am self repairing so I will save at least half that in labor. I have been lucky to find all the parts I needed on Facebook market, craigslist and fleabay, and not get burned. I'm in it for just under $2,000 before the paint and hydro dipping. So I might have a few bucks left over to fix the pitting chrome, likely just have those parts powder-coated black to match the paint. Seems like a lot of the Kuryakyn and Kewl Metal Chrome parts have degraded over the years. but the Honda OEM chrome has zero issues. Tells you something about the aftermarket parts and why some of those companies have disappeared.

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,080 Posts
thanks.. I love the Titanium (challenger brown) color and tribal stripes, however none of the tribal decals are available from Honda any longer and it is not cost effective to have them airbrushed or even have them remade as vinyl decals under the clear, either option is in the $3000-$4000 range.

the tank I was able to get is black, so I am going basic black and having some graphics hydro dipped on the tank and fenders, about $900 vs. $3,000. Insurance company estimated the repairs at $6,000 and the bike value at $7,800 so they wanted to total it. I opted for the max payout of 70% of the value minus my deductible to avoid being totaled, the bike has a lot of sentimental value it was a gift from my father after he passed away, plus my kid using her hard earned money to get it back to running condition this past year, needed a fuel pump, injectors and wire harness as some critter chewed up the harness.

I am self repairing so I will save at least half that in labor. I have been lucky to find all the parts I needed on Facebook market, craigslist and fleabay, and not get burned. I'm in it for just under $2,000 before the paint and hydro dipping. So I might have a few bucks left over to fix the pitting chrome, likely just have those parts powder-coated black to match the paint. Seems like a lot of the Kuryakyn and Kewl Metal Chrome parts have degraded over the years. but the Honda OEM chrome has zero issues. Tells you something about the aftermarket parts and why some of those companies have disappeared.
Have you considered reaching out to BD's Cycles? Awesome custom paint work and very reasonable prices FAR less than $3-4k.
You can search for his info here in this forum.

Reactions: 68valiant and LEGO

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you considered reaching out to BD's Cycles? Awesome custom paint work and very reasonable prices FAR less than $3-4k.
You can search for his info here in this forum.
yes, however I'm in CA, they are in SC, shipping the parts back and forth would negate any savings on the paint. nearly $1000 each way for the tank, both fenders, and side panels with insurance. not counting the stress of trusting fedex or usps not to f-up the parts or lose them

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,080 Posts
Ouch

·
Registered
2008 VTX 1800F
39 Posts
yes, however I'm in CA, they are in SC, shipping the parts back and forth would negate any savings on the paint. nearly $1000 each way for the tank, both fenders, and side panels with insurance. not counting the stress of trusting fedex or usps not to f-up the parts or lose them
Hell, for a thousand bucks each way I'd be tempted to take vacation and drive X country. I always wanted to take some of route 66.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hell, for a thousand bucks each way I'd be tempted to take vacation and drive X country. I always wanted to take some of route 66.
yeah if the X was ridable.

years ago I did CA to TN and back on my X with my cousin, he has a gold wing so his ride was significantly better than mine, his arse didn't hurt as much at the end of the day either.

1221 - 1229 of 1229 Posts