Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the community coming out of Provo Utah and this page seems a lot more reliable/awesome than most other pages I've seen.

That being said I've got a problem that's really left me scratching my head! So 5 months ago I bought a 2005 1300c and I LOVE IT! I ride every single day from school, work, gf's house. So this morning I went and fired her up and after 30-40 seconds of just idling it shut off. It's never had an issue idling so that was a little concerning, then I realized that there was no power at all. When I turn the key no indicator lights/headlight/odometer, nothing. When I push the starter, silence. My initial thought was that the battery just died on me, but the more research I do, the only occurrences of the battery dying I am seeing is when the bike has been sitting for weeks or months. Mine was running perfectly less than 12 hours before. Also as far as I know when the bike is running the battery is charging, so I'm not sure how the battery would die while the bike is idling. Am I just overthinking a simple dead battery or is this something more complex?

Any replies are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Doubt it's the battery... (started right up)... But more likely it is just a loose battery connection.

Remove seat,
"Unclip" computer and gently lay out of the way
remove the (3) phillips screws that hold the battery cover
TIGHTEN the battery connections with a WRENCH or Socket/Ratchet... NOT just a screwdriver.

If the above doesn't fix it... then remove the battery and have it tested.
If it tests good, you'll need to start running down connections and other culprits...

·
Registered
16,922 Posts
The battery does NOT charge unless around 3K rpm, or running down the super slab @ 60+. As mentioned, have it fully charged, then take to an auto parts store and have them do a 100 Amp load test. Just because it shows 12+V. means nothing. If you have a good battery, or replace it with another, I recommend when not riding keep it on a Battery Tender Jr. or Plus.

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
One thing I found was the connector under the seat inside of a black rubber sheath had become disconnected on mine. The same thing happened, it just died. I was lucky and just found it.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys! I pulled off the seat and cleaned/tightened everything up. I'm not 100% sure where the exact problem was coming from but the battery and all the wiring under the seat was super dirty and loose. To the point where I could unscrew the 3 bolts on the battery cover with my fingers. Long story short I cleaned it up real nice, blew it off with and air compressor, tightened things up and she fired right up! Good lesson to keep things nice and tidy on the inside as well as on the outside! Also looks like I found my go-to forum for the future. Thanks again!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Brimski I am in Idaho Falls. If you need anything when you are up here let me know. I would be happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts