Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this weekend I decided to debadge my side covers. One side came off beautifully with WD40 (thanks for the tip guys!). The other seems to have been superglued back on by the previous owner.:harder: I did get the emblem off, but there are the crusty remains of the glue left. I have carefully chipped off all that I can, and soaked the area for hours in goo-gone. I am afraid remover will damage the paint or plastic. Has anyone had any luck getting this stuff off?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Baby oil will soften the glue. Then use goo gone .. acetone will defintely mess up your paint.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I used a hair dryer and dental floss. Heat the emblem up until hot to the touch ,take about 8-10 in. of dental floss and slip it behind emblem, Now saw it up and down all the way to the end. Don't get in a hurry, it will cut it right off, Then I took the hair dryer and heated the glue up till soft and wiped it off with goop, then cleaned and waxed rel good. good luck....

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I used a hair dryer and dental floss. Heat the emblem up until hot to the touch ,take about 8-10 in. of dental floss and slip it behind emblem, Now saw it up and down all the way to the end. Don't get in a hurry, it will cut it right off, Then I took the hair dryer and heated the glue up till soft and wiped it off with goop, then cleaned and waxed rel good. good luck....
that's the normal way, he said previous owner had stuck it on with Super Glue

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
a couple of suggestions here are good,

except using acetone. i wouldn't use it! no acetone! no acetone, i would not, i repeat, i would not use acetone!!!:eek:

but keep searching or researching that option if you want to. just my $.02 but it can get more expensive than that!

it can work but there's an extreme probability that you'll mess up paint, no disrespect intended here Old Fool, i guess you would really have to know how to do it. take care! :patriot:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try the baby oil and heat. I read something that said rubbing alcohol might help. I will post the results. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tell you what glent... I will do my good deed for the day and send them to you for free. PM me with your address. Pay it forward...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts