Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. Just bought a 2006 VTX1300R and loving the ride.
Also, I really am lucky to have found this site, some really good stuff here!
My question is (and i tried to do a search on this), I've already lost my left side cover grommet. Any place besides the stealer to get this?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
See if the dealer has them they aren't expensive. Before you reinstll the new one check the rest, if they're hard order all of them. Use some glue on them to keep them in place. Side covers are expensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll try the dealer tomorrow. I did happen to find some info on here after I figured out what I was looking for. Will not be losing them again!

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
If you put a little spit on your finger and wet the grommet before installing the cover they will pop in easily. If they are dry you can and will push them out the back side because of the dry friction. Try it it works great.

Donut/Doug:patriot:

·
Registered
50 Posts
ACE is the place... The last ones I replaced I picked up at the hardware store for about $.60. They may be round, but they fit in the oval hole just fine and haven't fallen out.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
If you put a little spit on your finger and wet the grommet before installing the cover they will pop in easily. If they are dry you can and will push them out the back side because of the dry friction. Try it it works great.

Donut/Doug:patriot:
After I replaced both of mine I have been wiping a dab of white lithium grease on the grommets when i take the covers off. It allows the covers to slide on, instead of pushing the grommets through the hole with the peg. I suppose spit works too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Trouble is lithium grease doesn't dry out and that makes it easy for the cover to fall off and that has happened in the past with someone else on the board.
Like I said just a little spit and after it evaporates and the cover stays on better.

Donut :patriot:Doug

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, thanks for all the help. I found some sites that have them for around $3 to $4.
Unfortunately, their shipping charges are highway robbery..sometimes 3X what the dang things cost! Me and the wifey stopped for some ice cream after a ride and I noticed the backside of the cover hanging out a tad. So I took the cover off and took the other 2 mounts off and put them in the saddlebag. I figured they weren't cheap and after doing some research...holy cow - $65 for chrome covered plastic. I'm in the wrong business!! Thanks again all! This site is the BEST!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Same part here at Ron Ayers about $3 cheaper, but still too damned expensive for 40 cents worth of rubber...:mad: (I had one come up missing myself...)
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...el/VTX1300R/GroupID/176232/Group/WIRE_HARNESS
Thanks for the info Bass, almost lost my side cover yesterday. Figured for the same price in shipping I ordered grommets for all the covers (side and cylinder). 14 grommets, $18 shipped.

Started looking @ Yahoo search for Grommets and SUPRIZE it guided me here..... should have known better than to look anywhere else.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
I remember a grommet kit from Big Bike Parts to fit a Goldwing would also fit.
The whole kit with 4 round hole grommets and a couple of rectangular ones was about 6-8 bucks.
If I can find a link, I'll post it.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I remember a grommet kit from Big Bike Parts to fit a Goldwing would also fit.
The whole kit with 4 round hole grommets and a couple of rectangular ones was about 6-8 bucks.
If I can find a link, I'll post it.

saw that, 4 big round, 4 small round, but only one rectangular.

In all you need 8 oval and 4 small for the cylnder covers and 2 round and 4 rectangle for the side covers. I just figured this way I would have what I need and not have to worry if it fit right or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts