Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cobra speedster slashdown pipes and Pro-R hypercharger. I get a slight (very low) popping sound once in a while. I might hear it once or twice if I'm riding for hours or once or twice when I first start the bike (warming up). Is that normal or should I not be experiencing that AT ALL if the bike is tuned and adjusted properly?

Thanks ~

Soli Deo Gloria!!!

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Did you do the pairing valve removal. If not that and a few adjustments should do it. If so it sounds like you need CharlieD or Gonza to walk you thru a fine adjustment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you do the pairing valve removal. If not that and a few adjustments should do it. If so it sounds like you need CharlieD or Gonza to walk you thru a fine adjustment.
I didn't do the work myself (as I am not very mechanically inclined) so I'm not sure if the pair valve was removed. The work was done out-of-state where I purchased the bike.

It's BARELY noticable. You really need to pay attention to hear it... and like I said it happens VERY sparingly. Plus, the bike rides very well. I'm a perfectionist... should I be regarding this?

I know it's frowned upon here in the Cafe by many, but as I said being mechanically inclined is not MY strong point. So except for basic installations, I probably would be going to a "trusted" mechanic (if I can find one in Chicago or near by), but I like to be informed!

Thanks ~

Soli Deo Gloria!!!

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
If the popping is that minimal it's not going to do a thing. Retorque the nuts where the the engine there can be a small leak there. 17 lb ft is what the book calls for. Popping is a normak function in all endines, the stock pipes muffle them out. The more you open the pipes up to let the sound out the less these noises are smuthered by the pipes. If the pairing valve needs to be removed don't sell yourself short. This is a perfect place to see that you can indeed work on your bike. You have a great support system here, all you need to do is ask we'll gladly come to your aid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 1300c with 8k miles, and when excelerating, it sounds like its pre-detonating, and I have a valve tick that gets louder when its hot. Honda says you don't need to adjust the valves, and another bike shop says to adjust the valves, and that preignition can't happen because of the electronic ignition, any suggestions????:banghead:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering about the slight ticking noise from the valves and the light pop from the pipes every now and then. I am just trying to get an ear for the motor and what is normal engine noise and what needs to be fixed.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Valve Sound:

First and foremost, this is normal for a VTX. However, you have to know that its not a loud ticking. Think more of it sounding like a Sewing Machine. Slight Tick, but not a Clack... if that makes sense. And no, it shouldn't get worse when its hot. It should remain constant. Get your valves checked, or do them yourself.

Popping:

This is also completely normal WITH the pair valve system installed. The pair valve system introduces fresh air into your exhaust to "dilute" the exhaust fumes to pass emissions standards. The problem is, Fresh Air (ie: Oxygen) is flammable. Hence the pop. Remove the pair valve system. Plates cost $16-$18. Well worth the price of admission.

-Gonz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts