Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 VTX 1800F that I recently picked up used. Only 4100 miles on it. Today, I noticed a small cut in the sidewall of the stock Dunlop rear tire. A couple inches long. The tires look good overall, with decent tread, and no apparent dryrot. But a sidewall cut makes me nervous.

Do I need to replace this tire immediately, or is there be some way to tell if the cut will cause problems?

Thanks for the advice. I've been out of riding for a number of years, and am just getting back in.

·
Currently in Chrome Rehab
3,526 Posts
any cut isnt good. IMHO...get another tire...its not worth the "what if stuff".
Its your life on the saddle you know?

·
Seasoned Member
876 Posts
A ot of people woud put put some duct tape on it and use the money to buy chrome, me, I would get a new tire........but thats just me
Coopi

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
Unanimous so far. Don't chance it. Not worth it.

I'll see your "unanimous so far" and raise you a "replace it with a car tire". Read em and weep baby. :D

Poker Preacher

·
Bald Headed Fat Man
1,510 Posts
Keeping it unanimous. Replace the tire

·
9,160 Posts
Add me to the "replace it" column. :mosh:

·
Registered
679 Posts
These guys don't know what they are talking about! I say you should have put some ABC gum on that puppy and put another 4K miles on it!

:bleh:

Kidding, very good decision. Its not worth your life.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Roast the old tire and take video of it so we can all see it!

Then put the new tire on. :mosh:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just going through old posts and saw this one. I'm in the process of getting my wheels powder coated and I have my tires in my garage. I wiped them down on Saturday in anticipation of getting my wheels back and thats when I spotted a gauge in my rear tire. These are new tires from last June. &^%&%&% was my first reaction. So I took it to my dealer and they were like "uhhh thats not safe" which is exactly what I was expecting. So needless to say I have a new rear tire coming in on Wed. I feel safe knowing that I did the right thing. Glad I read this post.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
That's a no-no. Wishing you better days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts