Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Smart Turn System today on the bike. Pretty straight forward. For those that will attempt this please note that the VTX will give you an error due to the daytime running lights in the front. I was getting the back light coming on only and flashing like I had hazards on.
Instead of adding the system in the headlight bucket I had to cut the wires in the bucket and run wires back to the seat. I did not solder the wires as I want to test for a month and due to the cold here in N.E. Ohio the iron wouldn't get hot enough. I pulled power from my fuse block I had installed last year. I installed the smaller foam parts in the switch and it was easy. I installed the unit under my seat with double sided tape and went for a quick cold ride. It worked as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Recommend you secure wiring from computer to prevent vibration which history has proven will shut your bike down, Velcro straps, tape and etcetera. Nice looking ride!
:patriot:

Reactions: edessa

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you need to run wire from the headlight? Or could this be hooked up to one of the bundles under the seat or side covers?
How much of a pain in the ass is the install? I love the idea about not needing to always be looking and cancelling the signals.

Thanks
Roger

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you need to run wire from the headlight? Or could this be hooked up to one of the bundles under the seat or side covers?
How much of a pain in the ass is the install? I love the idea about not needing to always be looking and cancelling the signals.

Thanks
Roger
I decided to take a page from Scooter Geezer’s book

Added them today. Working perfectly. The piezo buzzers were $5 each and I already had the connectors.

Thanks
Roger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey there! So where did cut into the wires? At the headlight bucket, right after the connectors for the signal? I got the hazards as well and it’s kicking my butt. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts

Thanks
Roger
Did you edger get a reply?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check the link I quoted above. The wiring is in post #15 on that thread.
All under the seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ll try that! Thank you. Pretty much hook up the system to the rear lights instead of the front ones, but still use the relay wire which is also to the right under the seat. Man I’ve been getting the hazards and other errors. I tried hooking it up like other people said as well. I tried at 12” for the switch. But I’ll try hooking all the wires under the seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just finished my STS install today. Boy did it give me issues. My first attempt to install the STS was in accordance with the STS manual/instructions. I performed the install right after the connector. My result with that first attempt was having rear light hazards. I then researched other installs and found one guy who installed the STS 12” away from switch. I attempted this install and I got hazards in the back. I but spliced all the wires and closed up. Researched some more and found an install mentioned above that referred to installing the STS under the seat with the rear lights. I tried this with the rear lights and cut my relay signal wire and tried installing the system. This gave me from hazards. During this whole time I was contacting the STS support through the messenger app and email. They told me the unit was fine due to voltage in and out. I would also feel the STS click inside. I reinstalled the wires, in other word reconnected all the wires. I went back to 12” from the switch and installed the STS there again. What I found was that I needed a good voltage wire. My high beam didn’t work because the STS would only work in the high beam function. My low beam didn’t work either and I tried the white/green wire which is an accessory power for the horn. This gave me the results advertised. Soldered everything and heat shrinked as require. Ops checks good. Mounted the STS at the forward cavity under the tank where wind will prevent heat for the engine to hit it. Will apply some baffle material under it for cushion and zip tie it down as per the instructions. Please feel free to message me for further details.

·
Registered
5 Posts

1. I just finished my STS install today. Boy did it give me issues. My first attempt to install the STS was in accordance with the STS manual/instructions. I performed the install right after the connector. My result with that first attempt was having rear light hazards. I then researched other installs and found one guy who installed the STS 12” away from switch. I attempted this install and I got hazards in the back. I but spliced all the wires and closed up. Researched some more and found an install mentioned above that referred to installing the STS under the seat with the rear lights. I tried this with the rear lights and cut my relay signal wire and tried installing the system. This gave me from hazards. During this whole time I was contacting the STS support through the messenger app and email. They told me the unit was fine due to voltage in and out. I would also feel the STS click inside. I reinstalled the wires, in other word reconnected all the wires. I went back to 12” from the switch and installed the STS there again. What I found was that I needed a good voltage wire. My high beam didn’t work because the STS would only work in the high beam function. My low beam didn’t work either and I tried the white/green wire which is an accessory power for the horn. This gave me the results advertised. Soldered everything and heat shrinked as require. Ops checks good. Mounted the STS at the forward cavity under the tank where wind will prevent heat for the engine to hit it. Will apply some baffle material under it for cushion and zip tie it down as per the instructions. Please feel free to message me for further details.
  2. CarlosG, I am having the same issue now for several weeks. I hooked into the White/Green wire, but still "hazards" from rear turn signals. Is it because I am wiring the unit inside the head light bucket? Where did you cut the wires? Under the tank, close to where you mounted the STS unit?

·
Registered
20 Posts

1. CarlosG, I am having the same issue now for several weeks. I hooked into the White/Green wire, but still "hazards" from rear turn signals. Is it because I am wiring the unit inside the head light bucket? Where did you cut the wires? Under the tank, close to where you mounted the STS unit?
Could you make a short YouTube video and send it to me? I spliced or cut the wires about 8 inches away from the switch. I had to cut the black plastic wire housing. I routed the wires to under the tank at the forward opening. I know this can be really frustrating but we’ll figure it out. Did you cut the wires one switch side harness?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried cutting the three lines under the tank, then STS said to install inside of bucket. First cut was on motorcycle side of connector, same hazard lights, STS then said on signal switch side of connector, same results, now I’m back to under the tank, where edessa said he wound up installing it. All with same results. I do believe the running lights are the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Carlos. So if you cut the lines just 8 inches from the turn signal switch, that tells me there is another 12 or so inches before the loom enters the back of the headlight bucket, right? So basically, what may be happening is that I am making my splices after a split in the line which is affecting the unit? Promise, no more questions!???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Carlos. So if you cut the lines just 8 inches from the turn signal switch, that tells me there is another 12 or so inches before the loom enters the back of the headlight bucket, right? So basically, what may be happening is that I am making my splices after a split in the line which is affecting the unit? Promise, no more questions!???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes sir. There’s a split before the headlight. I apologize, I forgot to mention that. It should work there. It just sucks that we have to cut the loom. I love the STS, you do take a but to get used to it. I’ve been riding with it for about a month or so now and I’m barely starting to trust it at every lane change and so on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
  • Carlos, sent final response via email. I don’t see it here, but wanted you to know you hit the nail on the head! Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
  • Carlos, sent final response via email. I don’t see it here, but wanted you to know you hit the nail on the head! Thank you. I really appreciate your help. View attachment 238700
Hey that’s awesome Grebber! I’m really happy I was able to provide the help that I needed when I was doing the install. If any one I knows how to do the install step by step at the rear lights, please let us know. I’d like to know of a method that doesn’t have to cut into the wiring loom at the switch.

·
Registered
2006 VTX 1800 S2
25 Posts
Ok mine just came in the mail today. I am new to working on a bike so many thing above are Greek to me. I am concerned about cutting into anything and messing something up. Can this be dumbed down for me?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts