Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After getting things all set and ready to ride earlier this year, I noticed smell of coolant while riding, and especially when sitting idle. I can find no leak, no idication of coolant on the engine or anything like that. Any clues as to why I might be smelling this? :hmm2:Everything else runs like a top.

Thanks!

dgeiken

·
Registered
278 Posts
Make sure your radiator cap is tight. I just bought my 1800 earlier this year. During the first several rides, I too noticed an antifreeze smell. Like yours, I could not see any place that it was leaking. I finally reached up under the gas tank and gave the radiator cap a little tweak. Sure enough it moved a little. I haven't had the antifreeze smell since.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Make sure your radiator cap is tight. I just bought my 1800 earlier this year. During the first several rides, I too noticed an antifreeze smell. Like yours, I could not see any place that it was leaking. I finally reached up under the gas tank and gave the radiator cap a little tweak. Sure enough it moved a little. I haven't had the antifreeze smell since.[/quote

I had the same issue the first year I had my Vtx look under the tank on the left side for the radiator cap.

Later, Gar

·
Registered
855 Posts
My VTX, my Shadow, and my buddys Magna all smell like antifreeze when they are hot. Fluid level stays full, have never seen one spot under any of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smelling coolant on 2003 VTX 1800r

Thanks for the replies.. appreciated. One further question... you have a radiator cap under your gas tank? Forgive me for sounding stupid, but mine is under the seat behind the side panel on the left side. Should I be looking under the cap for something?

Thanks!

Deane

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
The one under the side cover is the overflow tank. Keep it filled between the marks .... look under the bike. The one under the fuel tank is the radiator cap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts