Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The person who first made this is still a mystery so I can't pay homage to anyone. If your looking for something healthy, you'll probably want to skip this one. Basically it's a pound of ground sausage, stuffed, wrapped in bacon, and smoked. This is how I do it. The pics won't show the whole process, who has time to take pics while your cooking?

Take 1lb sausage and put in a 1 gallon plastic bag. Roll it out evenly to make a sheet that just fills the bag. Ignore the bag on the right, it was an experiment. When I was finished though, the bag on the left was completely filled and even. Place the bag on a flat surface in the freezer for a little bit. You don't want to freeze it, but the colder the sausage is the easier it is to work with.

You can use anything you want to fill it, use your imagination. Precook veggies or anything that has a high water content so it doesn't explode the fattie later on. For this one I chunked some mushrooms, onions, and peppers in a skillet until they were done. Now slit the bag down the sides and lay it out. Meat on one side and nothing on the other. I made a layer on top of the sausage sheet staying away from the edges with the veggies, (you need enough meat there to seal the chub). Next I covered with mozzarella, and cheddar, then began making a roll.

Use the slit bag to keep it round as you go and keep going until you have a roll. Tuck the ends in as you go to keep everything inside and sealed. When your done it should look something like this.

Now lay about five or six pieces of bacon on plastic wrap the size of a baking sheet and put the roll of sausage on the ends of the bacon. Roll the chub to the end of the bacon

Next pick it up by the ends of the plastic with your thumb and index fingers and use the rest of your fingers to spin it. The tighter you spin it, the better it helps seal and also keeps the thickness even for cooking. You don't have to go ape shit, but when your done it will be about the same length as a normal 1lb chub of sausage, only fatter. Next I put dry rub on the bacon and spin it again to push the spice into the meat.

Next is onto the smoker at 225 degrees. Keep the smoke light. Too many folks want to see it rolling out of the stack but that's not good. You want the TBS (Thin Blue Smoke). Basically if you can smell it, your smoking. That billowing smoke will ruin your food so avoid it. After about 2.5 hours it's fully cooked and will look something like this. Check the internal temp to make sure it's at least 165 degrees if your worried.

Although fully cooked, the bacon is real soft and unless you like the texture you'll need to crisp it. Put the fattie on a wire rack on a cookie sheet and turn on the broiler. Put the cookie sheet 3/4 to 1/2 rack distance from the broiler and use tongs to keep rolling as the bacon crisps, it makes a poofing sound as it crisps. The cooking part is over now, all your doing in firming up the bacon. When your done let the fattie cool a while before you cut it or it will bleed all over the place. While this was going on I put colossal shrimp in a foil pan, drizzled with butter, lemon, a touch of dry rub, and popped them in the smoker that was still at 225 degrees. Finished with the broiler, shrimp is done, fattie is cooled, and this is what we have. The one on the right wasn't stuffed or wrapped, just a pound of sausage.

And here is the end result. Smoked shrimp with humas on small toasted garlic bread with slices of the fattie. Not a meal, but damned good.

A closer look.

I make this for breakfast on the weekends with scrambled eggs, potatoes, and onion. I just make them ahead of time and freeze. It's a bit of labor, but well worth the effort.
Based on the thread title I'll bet you wasn't expecting this, what where you thinking? :shrug:

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
i will do this tomorrow so that i can eat sunday. no matter how healthy i eat, i take one day a week and stray so that i don't feel restricted of deprived and it's worked good over the years that way...dude, my mouth is freading watering...i have all the ingredients already, so i will do this early in the morning lol...jim, thanks for sharing this recipe with us and you know, i could turn this into a healthy meal with a change of meats or by grinding my own meats and mixing the fat in myself lol...thank you again, and i will let you know how this goes :)

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Woooooow....

Now all I gotta do is figure out which Crawford County I'm heading to next time you smoke some of the good stuff ;)

-Gonz

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
Homer to Lisa: Are you saying you’re never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Sausage?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
just got it all rolled out and ready to hit the smoker here in just a few...i too have some wild boar in the freezer i will use the next time

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
just put it in the smoker about 5 minutes ago

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
you're welcome anytime mike! :)
i sliced off a piece of this a little while ago while cooking dinner....YUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
you're welcome marty lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
This kind of spawned a crazy invention in my head... I wonder if we could convert a cheap bike cargo trailer into a smoker? I could just see getting set for your trip... rolling out a couple of these, some ribs and turkey legs, locking them in your tow behind smoker, heading down the road with a trail of smoke behind you... making people twice as jealous in traffic. Then having some awesome chow at the end of your ride...

Slightly un-nerving with the thought of some cager rear ending your trailer and driving hot coals into you though :(

1 - 20 of 45 Posts