Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
So, what other things would you all put inside one of these? I know I'm going to put shrooms and cheese. I'm a VERY plain/picky eater. Does someone have a personal favorite, or suggested rub? I'm bored with my standard menu. 44 years of the same stuff...well...it blows. Give me ideas you genuises! (Spelling compliments of Tomkat.) ;)

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
If you fellas want to make your fatty experience easer to keep together for cooking invest in some frog mats. They are high temp silicone mats that work great in smokers to keep things from sticking to or falling though the racks. cant be used over direct flame!

http://www.frogmats.com/

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
anytime, mike and it's an easy choice for me lol

ray, keeping checking the food/recipe section and you'll find some ideas as i post and others post as well :)

i have some of those mojo, they work good!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, what other things would you all put inside one of these? I know I'm going to put shrooms and cheese. I'm a VERY plain/picky eater. Does someone have a personal favorite, or suggested rub? I'm bored with my standard menu. 44 years of the same stuff...well...it blows. Give me ideas you genuises! (Spelling compliments of Tomkat.) ;)

I like eggs, potatoes, and onions for a breakfast fattie. I've made a couple at camp for an evening snack with bleu cheese and black olives. Everyone seemed to enjoy them because they were gone in record time. Try a pizza fattie using a little sauce, some cheese, and veggies of your choice. Without knowing what foods/flavors you like or dislike it would be hard to make suggestions. But if you like it, put er in there and give it a try. You can use any ground meat you want, but I prefer pork most of the time. The selection of dry rubs is almost endless. One that I keep on hand all the time is called Rich's Rub made by a Hungarian dude I know. It's a good general purpose rub that can be used on anything. Beef, pork, poultry, wild game, veggies, fish, I even sprinkle it on my eggs. I like to mix in a little heat to kick it up a notch, but that's just my personal preference. He makes it himself and uses quality ingredients, no MSG or any other crap. I usually order three pounds at a time to save on shipping, and then usually give some of it away so other folks can try it. He used to sell cured meats too that were the best you could get anywhere but none are shown on his website anymore. You can find it here
http://www.madhunkymeats.com/ Shoot me a pm and I'll vac pac some up and send it to you so you can try before you buy.

If you fellas want to make your fatty experience easer to keep together for cooking invest in some frog mats. They are high temp silicone mats that work great in smokers to keep things from sticking to or falling though the racks. cant be used over direct flame!

I can see where those would come in handy at times. But when making a fattie I'll stick with bacon because, well hell it's Bacon. And when I cook, bacon is my duct tape.
:icon_chee

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
bacon is a good version of duct tape

·
Registered
424 Posts
+What'w your address? And what time is it done!!! After a long drive from Wisconsin, I will sure enjoy that!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I made one of these "fatties" yesterday to take over to a friends bbq get-together. Turned out great. Gotta start experimenting with the filling possibilities for sure.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I saw a very similar recipe called "Bacon Explosion" that was popular a few years ago... they actually make a basket weave of the bacon for the outer layer... their inner layer was cooked bacon and cheddar cheese.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/ - caution- The surgeon general has determined that your cholesterol will raise 12 points by even visiting this page.
+100000 on the bacon explosion I've made it a few times and took it to Work once my Co workers renamed it "bacon/pork orgasm"

transmitted from Apollo 11 on the dark side of the moon

·
Registered
16,358 Posts
Glad you revived this, Phil. Making me hungry!

·
Need more road time!!
1,308 Posts
I've smoked Pork and Ribs, and Chicken, I think this will be my next endeavor!!

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Yum, yum, looks delicious!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts