Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've gone ahead and drilled the pipes and I'm not quite sure if it made any difference at all. Perhaps a deeper idle but I may be imagining that.

I've only done three holes at 5/16 though in each pipe. (A 1/2 inch won't fit. Absolute largest I could go seems to be 3/8ths but I'd be maxing out the space.

I intend to do three more in each but I felt I should check in with everyone to find out what to expect. I've only drilled in to the first chamber using standard length drill bits. To really get the change, do I need to drill in deeper? I know 10 and 12 in bits where recommend for the bottom hole.

I have a 2008 VTX1300R. I understand those pipes are a bit different than some other model years. I seem to hit something at around the 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock position. Not sure if I should drill in to that. It almost looks like rivet ends or joints... Not sure. It doesn't look like there is a cap on them or anything...

Anyway, wanted to get info on this...

Ride safe,
Frank

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have the tapered pipes, so a holesaw is what gets it done with those...:stirpot: :D
What is the technique or method to do this? How big of a hole are we talking? And thanks for the reply.

·
Geezer Glider
3,703 Posts
What is the technique or method to do this? How big of a hole are we talking? And thanks for the reply.
From what I've seen, Just smaller then the outer diameter. Then guys use a lil Dremmel tool to grind down the edge thats left.

Youtube has videos too. looks way easy.

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, basically, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKhzGEgsLw :banghead:

This $5 is turning in to a $50 project. The drill bits I bought to do this cost $30...

Oh, and is pulling out the baffling going to make the pipes "Illegal"? I'd been thinking that just drilling a few holes wouldn't make it noticeable. But no baffling is a bit of a different game...

·
Registered
132 Posts
If your drilling you probably won't be satisfied. I went down that road drilling the exhaust, ended up with new pipes anyway and they still make me smile!

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your drilling you probably won't be satisfied. I went down that road drilling the exhaust, ended up with new pipes anyway and they still make me smile!
This is a stop-gap measure. I intend to do new pipes in the future but I'll still trying to figure out what look I want. :)

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
So, basically, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKhzGEgsLw :banghead:

This $5 is turning in to a $50 project. The drill bits I bought to do this cost $30...

Oh, and is pulling out the baffling going to make the pipes "Illegal"? I'd been thinking that just drilling a few holes wouldn't make it noticeable. But no baffling is a bit of a different game...
If you want to get technical, just drilling them made them "illegal"..lol...Or at least voided the warranty on the mufflers...

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How Loud

So, my concern with removing the baffles is how loud will this be? Since this can't be reversed, I'm concerned that this will be so loud it will be unruly... so I'm thinking of just leaving the pipes as is and waiting until I get buy these: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ47485

Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered

They are the most appealing to me of all of the aftermarket systems...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You are drilling out the resonators not the baffles. Just do it I think you will like it, for some it's perfect. BTW it's not as loud as after market pipes.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
So, my concern with removing the baffles is how loud will this be? Since this can't be reversed, I'm concerned that this will be so loud it will be unruly... so I'm thinking of just leaving the pipes as is and waiting until I get buy these: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ47485

Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered

They are the most appealing to me of all of the aftermarket systems...
Those Bigshots will be louder than your modded stockers...Especially after the baffles in the Bigshots "burn in" a bit with some miles...

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
If it's bigshots you want then don't worry about the noise level taking the resonator out of yours. It'll never be as loud as the bigshots.

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those Bigshots will be louder than your modded stockers...Especially after the baffles in the Bigshots "burn in" a bit with some miles...
If it's bigshots you want then don't worry about the noise level taking the resonator out of yours. It'll never be as loud as the bigshots.

Really? Cool! :mosh:

You are drilling out the resonators not the baffles. Just do it I think you will like it, for some it's perfect. BTW it's not as loud as after market pipes.
From the picture, you're bike actually looks like the look I'm going for. Are those the big shots? Are they really loud?

I'm back to thinking about doing this. I'll figure it out through out the week...

Cheers!
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Really? Cool! :mosh:

From the picture, you're bike actually looks like the look I'm going for. Are those the big shots? Are they really loud?

I'm back to thinking about doing this. I'll figure it out through out the week...

Cheers!
:cheers:
Yes they are big shots and out of the box they are very loud, if fact I was on the phone ordering quite baffles after the first ride. With the new baffles I like them.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I recommend you do the hole saw mod first and then determine if you still want to go with aftermarket pipes later.

I did the hole saw mod on mine and really enjoy the sound. They are not extremely loud, I still can leave the driveway without waking up the neighbors, and they have a good sound while cruising and I don't need to wear ear plugs while riding and i can still hear my passenger while riding.

CageSC did a great step by step write up on how to do the hole saw mod, unfortunately I have not been able to find it. I'm sure he will put the link for the thread on here once he reads this or someone else will. If not, just PM CageSC and he can send you the link.:patriot:

·
Thumper
384 Posts
Did you try it with just 3 holes and had to go to 6 to get the sound you wanted? Just curious as I'm getting in on the tail end of this discussion. I'm thinking about drilling mine out as well and was just wondering if I can get away with just 3. Or will 3 just sound funky?

·
Geezer Glider
3,703 Posts
Don't your 08's have the tapered pipes? Drilling deep would do nothing on those. The baffle is in the front of the pipe on the tapered ones I believe.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts