Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 VTX 1300S Full Dress Built by me.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work yesterday there was a bad wreck on the highway 2 cars and a truck involved, the truck had rolled multiple times and the driver was obviously dead, cops were there but no ems they guy was hanging out the window covered in blood and no one attending to him, the back of his truck must have been loaded with junk because the road was littered with metal scrap and debris, glass, just shit everywhere, anyway I snaked my way through with the one-lane traffic on the shoulder and then took off, It was about 10 more miles to home about 3 miles from home I notice something doesn't feel right, I got a weird wobble, pulled into the corner store about a mile from my house and sure enough the back tire is flat, I have an S model so I have a tube so I aired it up to 35 psi and try to nurse it home.
I got within a quarter-mile from home and that's it flat as hell, I had to duck walk it under power one flop at a time to get it home and it was trying to throw my ass every step, the tire is ruined so is the wheel I've ordered new tire and a wheel already. Now my dilemma is how to lift it, I can't get my jack stand under it.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
You can screw some 2 x 4 or, preferably, 2 x 6 together in a staircase fashion to form two staircases - one for each wheel and then pull the bike onto them. You will need some sort of brace for the side stand. Then you can get the jack under the bike.

·
FREEBIRD
7,614 Posts
You can screw some 2 x 4 or, preferably, 2 x 6 together in a staircase fashion to form two staircases - one for each wheel and then pull the bike onto them. You will need some sort of brace for the side stand. Then you can get the jack under the bike.
I use this for oil changes, and it works great. Not sure it would do as well with a flat tire, though.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It won't roll, even under power, it jumps sideways in the back.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Get a buddy or 2 to lift from the rear, and slip a block under the frame high enough to get at the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Get help to hold it upright and use a tow strap with a come along or a winch to pull it forward onto the aforementioned staircase blocks.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
763 Posts
I'm glad I had a tire repair kit with me when mine went flat some years back as it was on a Sunday and no where was open to take it to in the middle of BFE Missouri. Rode on that plug for a long time after that, too. But I had the same wobbly experiences you mentioned as well.

My grandpa taught me about pulling against the kickstand to lift it higher to get something under it. Sure worked in a pinch! But I don't think I ever did it with my VTX. My old Intruder I did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
On my way home from work yesterday there was a bad wreck on the highway 2 cars and a truck involved, the truck had rolled multiple times and the driver was obviously dead, cops were there but no ems they guy was hanging out the window covered in blood and no one attending to him, the back of his truck must have been loaded with junk because the road was littered with metal scrap and debris, glass, just shit everywhere, anyway I snaked my way through with the one-lane traffic on the shoulder and then took off, It was about 10 more miles to home about 3 miles from home I notice something doesn't feel right, I got a weird wobble, pulled into the corner store about a mile from my house and sure enough the back tire is flat, I have an S model so I have a tube so I aired it up to 35 psi and try to nurse it home.
I got within a quarter-mile from home and that's it flat as hell, I had to duck walk it under power one flop at a time to get it home and it was trying to throw my ass every step, the tire is ruined so is the wheel I've ordered new tire and a wheel already. Now my dilemma is how to lift it, I can't get my jack stand under it. View attachment 239362 View attachment 239363
I pick mine up with a block and tackle. Lift points I use are the passenger peg mounts, frame under driver’s seat and upper triple clamps. I built an A frame for this procedure but have also used a cherry picker. Be careful if lifting by the triple clamps, make sure lifting straps are routed so they don’t pinch the cables/wires. Once up, I use jack stands to support the bike. Wood blocks work pretty good too but restrict access to drain plugs/oil filter. I actually prefer picking my bike up this way. I can work on it without being hunched over, have access to everything under the bike, can spin the
wheels and turn the bars as needed. Really helps when pulling the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I ordered an S wheel from eBay for 80.00 bucks and to my delight, it showed up with a damn near brand new Dunlop tire on it 80 to 85% id say it was polished and shiny too, lucked out on that got it changed I also put new brakes on the rear, the bad news is It looks like I burnt the clutch up duck walking it home, time for a new clutch, suggestions appreciated.

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
322 Posts
Ingenuity at its best!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts