Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the years I have been involved in a few different jobs, vocations and endeavors. Life is funny that way - so many directions. In every one there have always been a few persons willing to help, teach and support.

My first experience was my Father in Law. I worked for him on the farm for 2 years or so while I was finishing college. We covered farming, mechanic work, carpentry, electrical and others. Learned more than I could have ever hoped or at that time wanted to. LOL That process continues today 40+ years later. I was lucky in this life - I ended up with 2 Dad's.

My second real brush with a "teacher" came my first year of coaching. In the state of Texas in the 60's and 70's there was a Coaching icon named Gordon Wood. State Championship after State Championship at Brownwood High School and others. Just a cut above everyone else in the business for years and placed on a pedestal high above others in the profession. One year on the way back from our yearly preseason Coaching School ( a yearly gathering of hundreds of coaches from all over the state ) being held in Houston we stopped on our 11 hour trip home at a small hole in the wall roadside cafe. There were 17 of us. We had been there about 5-10 minutes when in the front door walks Coach Wood and his coaching staff. Basically in our eyes "god" had just entered the room. Of course all of the coaches on our staff were in awe and rightly so - a legend was taking his place among us. Then my introduction to how it is done. Coach Wood recognizing we were a group of fellow coaches strolls over to the tables where we were sitting, introduced himself and his staff. There was a little small talk and then the inevitable shop talk. Some question was put forth about offense or defense and class was in session. Here sits this giant in his profession talking to a bunch of newbies - drawing X's and O's - teaching - guiding - providing any bit of information he could that he thought might help. We were there for about 4 hours - this all started around 11:00 PM. I learned more in that four hours about football and being a model for others than I could have thought possible. He just didn't have to do that he just did.

All of that to say this. I got involved in the Bike world in March 2008. I have never been around and been exposed to a group more willing to help and go out of their way to prop up and support a fellow participant.

This carries over to these guys who I would like to recognize ( not that they haven't been before ) from my personal experience.

www.clocks4bikes.com - I have dealt with Ross and Linda on two or three occasions. Top notch products and service. Above and Beyond

www.healtech-electronics.com - Ordered a gear indicator for the 750 Shadow from them. Found out that it would not work. HealTech is located in Hungary. They did not know the whole world gets a Fuel Injected version of the 750 with exception of the US and Canada, we get the carbs. I spent 3 weeks or so working with Norbert from HealTech. Several emails, phone calls and the scanning of manual diagrams • wiring diagrams later there was a working unit for the Carb 750. My cost in the end $0.00.

www.robertdoerr.com • Robert Doerr - Personal service and a great product. Robert went way above in helping get a seat redone and graphic stitched for the wife's bike. Several emails and phone calls. Great guy to talk to and deal with.

www.biglry.com • Biglry & Bone - When I was thinking about getting a fuel manager (which I knew less than "0" about) I took a flyer and just called them. Wow. If you want more of an education in fuel flow and use on your FI "X" just talk to Larry. I was on the phone with him for way over an hour. I just wish I could have understood and retained half of what he told me. He sent me diagrams - install instructions and tips on how to do the install. Told me not to hesitate to call back if I needed any more information or help. Plus in the end gave me a great price on the unit.

www.Whypush.com • Sean "SPyKER" Kerwick - He is a pleasure to work with - been on the phone with him several times. Great product - great service. Has worked with and tried to help me with my preparation to install the Spyker mod on the 750. We also had a issue with the Spyker mod on the "X" which he took care of in short order at no cost to me ...

www.kisantech.com • Kisan Electronics - Had a saga with Kisan. Purchased "the" Signal Minder indicated on their website for the 2006 1800C from CruiserCustomizing. Turns out wrong pin config for that bike. Dealing with Kisan was as good as it could of been. Dimple and I believe Dave in support and development took care of everything. Dave was on the phone with me at least twice trying to figure the problem. Got it resolved. Sent me an new 9 pin config. which was dead. In the end this really worked out great, I am purchasing a new controller from X'N for the "X". Contacted Dimple and she exchanged the the "X" unit for a 750 unit with no hassle at all. Been a little difficult but Kisan was great to deal with.

www.cyclesparks.com • Dan Asper - Dan has been great working with me on getting one of his turn signal controllers for the "X" I have. Have exchange emails, PM's and wiring diagrams. He has been fun to work with. Another Above and Beyond. We have touched on him making a unit for the 750, sent him wiring diagrams he requested - we'll see.

www.jtdcycleparts.com • John Montani - Another great guy. Has spent way more time than you could expect trying to get some hard lowers for the wife's 750. We have exchanged graphics and diagrams trying to get this done. He has been super.

Last but not least:

www.vtxcafe.com • members - Everyone on this site goes above and beyond.
My question is - if these people can do this why can't everyone do this ??

Thanks to all of the Vendors and members.

All of these guys deserve Kudos for the "XTRA" they put into their products and service.

1st •> :choppersm2nd •> •> :choppersm3rd •> •> •>:choppersm4th •> •> •> •> :choppersm Gone •> •> •> •> •> _____ :choppersm​

1800 Mods / Accessories​
•• National Cycle Switchblade 2up Windshield, National Cycle Switchblade Chrome Lowers •• Clocks4bikes Clock-Thermometer •• Big Bike Parts/Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover, Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Paladin Highway bar •• Cobra Luggage Rack, Sissy bar & Tribal Insert, Drive Shaft Cover •• Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen SaddleStow Sissy Bar Deluxe Bag •• Willie & Max Windshield bag •• VTXExhaust.com 12" Short •• VTX Master Cylinder covers •• WhyPush "X" Air Box, K&N Filter •• Cycle House side covers •• Biglry & Bones Fuel Management •• Coyote Gas Cap hinge •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips & Throttle Boss, SwingWing Foot Pegs, Dually offset pegs, License Plate Mount for VX 1800C, License Plate frame, Texas Inspection Sticker plate •• Hondaline Chrome Light Bar for 1800C •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator/eCaddy Accessory Mount •• Cardo Intercom Scala Q2 & G4 •• iPod •• Avon Cobra 200 -130 tires & Dyna Beads •• Tsukayu Strong bags/EasyBrackets •• Ultimate Bigboy driver seat with backrest and passenger seat •• Rivco Tachometer for 1800 C, Rivco 6" risers, Rivco Passenger boards/forward adaptors •• Big Bike Parts Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• Gremlin Bell •• Signal Minder ••* Xena XX14 Motorcycle Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Tweaked Scotrod Tool Bag mod, Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn, Progressive shocks….

750 Mods / Accessories​
Memphis Shades Fats 21” Gradient Black Windshield • Memphis Shades Quick Release Mounting Kit • Memphis Shades Lowers-Black / Mounting Kit •• Cobra Light Bar • Freeway Bar • Sissy bar • Plain Insert • Luggage Rack • Honda OEM Driver Foot Pegs VTX 1800C3 model •• Lazy Rider Small Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen Cruiser Large Tool Bag • Shock Cutaway Saddlebags •• Vance and Hines Cruzer Dual Exhaust •• WhyPush “Tribal Flame” Air Box / K&N Filter •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips • Kuryakyn Throttle Boss •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Avon Venom 180 - 90/90 tires •• Robert Doerr Custom Seat Mod with graphic •• ButtyBuddy auxillary seat •• Clocks4bikes Clock • Clocks4bikes Thermometer •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator •• Phat Riser III for 750 Spirit •• Big Bike Parts Drive Shaft Cover • Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim • Kisan Signal Minder • Kuryakyn Carburetor Jet Kit •• Evoline Wayer Helmet •• Cardo Intercom Scala G4 Powerset-Q2 Multiset • Gremlin Bell • ToolKit • Xena XX-6 Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn….

:patriot:..........• Blessed to have been born in Texas •..........:patriot:
• Blessed to have been raised in Texas •
• Blessed to Live in Texas •
• If things continue as they are going - Hopefully I will be Blessed to see Texas as a Sovereign Nation again before I pass •
• Blessed I will be buried in Texas •

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
This day and age it is getting harder and harder to find people that care about what they do, let alone ones that will go the extra mile.
I would have too add Joe @ webslingercycles, and Glen @ glensvtxgarage to your list of great people to work with.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Ive only been a Cafe member since June of this year. As a result, i do not know or have experience with any of the vendors that rjt mentions except bglry and bones. I also have experience with Glen of the famous a/f tool who jstar mentioned. Now business owners, if they want to make money, owe it to themselves to treat customers right and go the extra yard, or inch, or mile whatever is called for. That is understood, but i am amazed at how our fellow cafe members do the same thing in return for what? No money, no business, no personal gain. I have never met such unselfish bikers online. They are as helpful as bikers i grew up with, rode with nightly, and talked with over many years and many bikes. Marty, WanderingBear, TomKat, Mondorah, Angel,Gonzo, Doug, CharlieD, Bassdude, these are the heroes of this forum, and of course Ray who started it all and continues it. I know i have left out many many other people who give of their time and help, Mooneydriver, Beastieboy, It's just that i dont have the years behind me of being a cafe member to know them all. Still, i hope i made my point. Each of us can be a help to someone who needs it. and why not? :choppersm Bry

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Some folks just don't have the passion in them that others do. You can like your job and be very good at it but having the passion for it drives you to go above and beyond just doing your job. There are movers and shakers and then there are cling-ons.

·
F rider
720 Posts
I think with the economy the way it is, you would think all businesses would want to have great customer service to keep customers coming back. I work for one of the largest companies in the world, and the biggest complaint I get from my customers when I go out to job sites is that when they call in to report a problem the customer service SUCKS! Me and my fellow outside techs do what we can to make it up to the customers, but that first point of contact is the phone call, and often their opinion is ruined right there. I got to say this site and the vendors on here have been the best experiences in customer service I have experienced in a long time.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Some folks just don't have the passion in them that others do. You can like your job and be very good at it but having the passion for it drives you to go above and beyond just doing your job. There are movers and shakers and then there are cling-ons.
+1 catdaddy. Something I tell the folks that I work with. Go and try to make a positive difference in someones life today.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I have used just about everyone mentioned and would like to add more I have found to be great people to do business with. All these people are members here and will work to please you.

Lazy Dog Customs Pegs
We Got Your Backrest Backrest plates
Jonny-Max Engraving Gr8fuljohn
X'N Flasher Relays
Matejj Shark Radio and Aux input in a bag
Stumpwerkx Anything Chrome and lots more
LayZerdude Air filter covers He no longer makes them but I felt he needed to be added too.

All the member here who share and have made me a much wiser person not afarid to take this bike apart. Many have shard advice and parts to create my bike. I could never say enough about these people. Ask a question and see what happens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is sad commentary on many businesses today when the attitude is to make all their profit from a given customer on one sale, not expecting any return business. I can remember when there were limited options for many of life's necessities and only ONE phone company. Now there are as many choices as there are web sites, and customer service should be the most important (and viewed as the only) product anyone provides; everything else is a commodity.

I feel fortunate to have found two groups (the other is the ascotvtx500enthusiasts group on Yahoo) that are always willing to provide help, suggestions, and support to all without question or any expectation of recompense.

I prefer to follow suite and take the high road.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Brian is one of the best dealers around for paint. I thought I read his name so I didn't put his on my list. Shame on me, I know Brians work first hand and can testify he stands behind his work 150%. He painted my bike twice to make it work for ME!!! He's painted both my fairing and will be doing to repairs to the current one. He has my complete trust, I'd let him paint anything I own.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
And let's not forget those that don't have a business but bend over backwards to help with mods/repairs or tuning questions. I can't attempt to name them all. Even those that sell similar products to the "big chain companies" and will help with installing their "competitions" equipment. Everyone here is great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts