Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year, with all the riding I did on the then new VTX, I noticed the large buildup of breakdust and road grime on the rims. So I decided to clean them.

I figured there had to be some cleaners out there to just remove the crap with a quick washoff. Well young and stupid, and yes I had been told not to use a rim cleaner on motorcycle stock rims, but I did anyways :banghead: after I thought I had read all the FINE FINE FINE print on the bottle.

At any rate the mag rims now are all splotchy and I have a few questions.

Is this just a clear coat staining? Or do I have to now worry about the exposed material rusting?

Any good ideas on perhaps fixing this without further damage?

If need be good ideas for replacements?

Thanks everyone and feel free to let the rain of "What were you thinkings". This was a clasic case of listen to your elders they know what they are talking about and the kid responding with...what do you know.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mothers Aluminum Wheel Polish, a microfiber towel, and a lot of elbow grease! :eek:

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
White Diamonds polish and a small buffing wheel mounted in a drill made my rims look new again.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
No clearcoat on the rims, and aluminum will not rust...Aluminum will oxidize and turn dull, but won't rust...

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, thanks everyone for your suggestions and answers. My main concern first off was that I was going to be riding on ever weakening rims. Secondly was the thought that I had a clearcoat to worry about, (Thanks for the informationg on that Simpleman and BassDude).

I have to say that the drill press polishing idea brings back memories of Home Improvement with Tim Allen. POWER haha i love it.

Thanks again everone. Looks like im going to have to pay for my mistake with some good elbow work but, thats what you get when you dont listen right?

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Great, thanks everyone for your suggestions and answers. My main concern first off was that I was going to be riding on ever weakening rims. Secondly was the thought that I had a clearcoat to worry about, (Thanks for the informationg on that Simpleman and BassDude).

I have to say that the drill press polishing idea brings back memories of Home Improvement with Tim Allen. POWER haha i love it.

Thanks again everone. Looks like im going to have to pay for my mistake with some good elbow work but, thats what you get when you dont listen right?
Ant time you get ready to do something you not sure how to handel, post a question and you'll get the info need to do it right the first time! I learned that the hard way!

Rebel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts