Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at a 2006 VTX1300R tomorrow. Has bags, windscreen, passsenger backrest, luggage rack. Looks good in pictures, shown by a dealer. 13,000 miles. Asking $6500. If the bike checks out, is this too good to be true? Prices for the same model year seem to be all over the place. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.:coffee:

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
Could be good. My first reaction was that it's a lot of miles, but it's not a lot of miles for an X. Still, it is well-used.

What is the service record (did it have the 12k service)?
Do the tires need to be replaced?
How are the steering bearings? Were they ever replaced?
Have brake pads been replaced?

If all of these things needed to be done and you were to pay someone to do it, you'de be looking at $3k-4k, imo.

If she's in great shape, then it could be a good deal.

hth

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll print this out to remind me while I'm at the dealer's. Hadn't thought of all of those things. Been away from riding for a while and just getting back into it. Appreciate the quick feed-back.

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
I reread my post. 3-4k sounds insane. It must be the steroids!

Lemme see:

12k service $400
tires, installed $400
bearings $300
brake job $250

My estimate = $1,350

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
To me for the milage price seems a little HIGH.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just got my brand new '08 1300T a couple weeks ago. Paid 11,799 CDN$ before our taxes (13%)and dealer ripoffs....

·
Registered
734 Posts
Got my 1800S in June with 1,583 miles on it. No extras what-so-ever, completely stock, for $6,000. But still, jagarcia is on the mark: It could be good, depending on the care that has been taken. Hondas make pretty dang reliable machines, if you take care of them they last a long time.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Check with Southern Power Sports in Chattanooga Tn. My brother got a brand new, in the box 2006 1300S for $6500.00 from them

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
NADA puts it between 5690-7450 depending on how good shape it's in, 6500 put it right in the middle, jagarcia gave you some good tips to check out, if in doubt, ask to see service records. Remember, after market goodies don't increase a bikes value, don't let dealer tell you otherwise!

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
Just got my brand new '08 1300T a couple weeks ago. Paid 11,799 CDN$ before our taxes (13%)and dealer ripoffs....
That is a good price for the t I payed13,000 otd but also had about 2000 more in mods done!:patriot:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went and saw the bike. Beautiful. Black cherry red with windshield, Mustang seats, passenger back rest, luggage rack, bags, aftermarket exhausts (didn't see which brand), driver's floor boards, tank bib,engine bars, extra chrome on fenders, and probably a couple of more things I didn't notice.

Bike was in the rear corner of a packed "showroom." Dealer a harley guy who took it (and a couple of other brands), in trade. Deals only in used bikes. Said guy had it and wanted to trade for a bigger Harley (to each his own).

The bike itself had been sitting for a while because there was a light coating of dust on it. Didn't look like it had been disturbed for a while. No evidence of any leaks or oil on the ground, or on the bike. Like I said, hadn't been wiped down in some time, and I didn't call in advance to let them know I was interested in it.

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Went and saw the bike. Beautiful. Black cherry red with windshield, Mustang seats, passenger back rest, luggage rack, bags, aftermarket exhausts (didn't see which brand), driver's floor boards, tank bib,engine bars, extra chrome on fenders, and probably a couple of more things I didn't notice.
With all those extras, IMO, $6500 isn't bad. Like said previously, 13K miles isn't a big deal with these bikes. These are very sound machines. I bought a used 06C this year with 1600 miles and paid 7K. Granted we fell in love with the bike on first sight and we HAD to have it.:drunk: No regrets. Only upgrade our bike had was Cobra exhaust. We have since put several more $$ into her. Your bike already has alot of the common upgrades. IF it struck your fancy I would go for it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't know. I bought my new '06 1300C last December for that price. It had 4 miles on it and was all stock, but that was almost a year ago.

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
13,000 would not be a major deterrent to me IF you can verify that the maintenance was done and that you do not have to put any immediate money in it AKA tires, brakes, battery. Just another 2 pennies.

Pdave:patriot:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for everyone's input and opinion. I want the bike. and can't believe that someone who would put that much money in it wouldn't be taking care of it.

NOW, just have to pry $$$ from the better half and I'll be in business.

Thanks again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts