Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAMN IT~ :banghead:

I botched the upper spark plug threads on the exhaust side front plug. Lower half of the threads look fine. Am I better off using a standard 12mm x 1.25 tap or one of those new back-taps to repair it? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
I've done this on a car with aluminum heads but not on a bike. Fill the cylinder with cheap shaving cream (not gel!). Get a helicoil kit, follow the instruction on the kit. When the Helicoil in installed Carefully vacuum out the shavings which, if you've been careful, will be on top of the shaving cream, not down in the cylinder. Get as much of the shaving cream as you can. Some shaving cream (NOT Shavings!)left in the cylinder won't hurt and will burn off the first time you start it.
Worked fine for me and the car is still running great. Others may and probably have other ideas and opinions.

Rebel

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Damn shutterbug, that sounds like something I'd do. It's always the most simple of tasks I try to accomplish that cause the most damage. Good luck getting that straightened out.

That's why I dont do any electrical work on my house, I'd end up burning it down.

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn shutterbug, that sounds like something I'd do. It's always the most simple of tasks I try to accomplish that cause the most damage. Good luck getting that straightened out.

That's why I dont do any electrical work on my house, I'd end up burning it down.
Yeah, well after this I may follow your footsteps and stay the hell away from it. What really torques my gourde is that the bike was running fine, but since the bike was new to me and I had no record of previous maintenance I had this notion to "start fresh" so I'd know what had been done. I guess I should have said "start fresh out of luck!"

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Dont let it discourage you. I've learned alot and am managing to do some basic maintenece on my own ride. Lot's of help from the guys here. As my knowledge and skills increase so does my confidence. But I know how you feel, something as simple as changing plugs gets so screwed up.
In the future before you do "ANYTHING" do a search here and look for tips on how to do it. One here on that subject that I saw was to use a peice of rubber hose on the plug to get it started to make sure you don't get it cross threaded, then ratchet it in. I'd have never thought of that.

I know what you're thinking..."now you tell me" :icon_roll

·
Registered
706 Posts
The head threads are plenty deep and you should be OK just cleaning the damaged portion out with a thread chaser. You can always go to a more radical repair if necessary.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dont ya just love it,ill tell my wife whatever im doing will take about 1 hr. 3hrs. later,get the picture.:banghead::hmm2:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I've done this on a car with aluminum heads but not on a bike. Fill the cylinder with cheap shaving cream (not gel!). Get a helicoil kit, follow the instruction on the kit. When the Helicoil in installed Carefully vacuum out the shavings which, if you've been careful, will be on top of the shaving cream, not down in the cylinder. Get as much of the shaving cream as you can. Some shaving cream (NOT Shavings!)left in the cylinder won't hurt and will burn off the first time you start it.
Worked fine for me and the car is still running great. Others may and probably have other ideas and opinions.

Rebel
Never heard of this before, but I like the idea.

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeeehaaa!

:cheers::D:choppersm
We're back in business, Folks! I went down to O'Reily's Auto Parts and rented a re-threading kit. Following what I've read here, I used grease to coat the cutter and just took it slow - going in a few turns and coming back out, each time cleaning the tool and applying more grease. It took about an hour and probably 10-15 starts and stops, but when it was done, that plug went in like clock-work and now the bike runs happy as a clam.

Thanks for your help and advice everybody! This was a MAJOR first for me!

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
Please coat the plug threads with never seize compound, so you dont pull the threads again. and never remove spark plugs from a hot engine!

·
Registered
30 Posts
:cheers::D:choppersm
We're back in business, Folks! I went down to O'Reily's Auto Parts and rented a re-threading kit. Following what I've read here, I used grease to coat the cutter and just took it slow - going in a few turns and coming back out, each time cleaning the tool and applying more grease. It took about an hour and probably 10-15 starts and stops, but when it was done, that plug went in like clock-work and now the bike runs happy as a clam.

Thanks for your help and advice everybody! This was a MAJOR first for me!
I think you did just fine. Every mechanic has to make mistakes to get where they all. Or, Equipment ruined is directly proportionate to experience.

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,754 Posts
That is my new favorite quote! - :mosh:
An alternative sometimes attributed to Omar Bradley goes something like:

Good decisions come from experience.
Experience comes from bad decisions.

G'day,

Vinish

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I hope you put in a good quality Iridium plug so you will not have to change it for 20,000+ miles.
Don't need expen$$$$ive iridium plugs in a 1300....I have over 18,000 on my factory plugs (never been changed), and the bike runs excellent, and I get to 160 miles before hitting reserve...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't need expen$$$$ive iridium plugs in a 1300....I have over 18,000 on my factory plugs (never been changed), and the bike runs excellent, and I get to 160 miles before hitting reserve...
Good for you..Not everyone can stay away from the enrichener. I and everyone of my buddies with VTX 1300's were changing plugs often till we went with a quality iridium plug. Yup, it is a fact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts