Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been tossing around the idea of some speaker set ups and there are so many options out there. Honda's option had one feature I really liked, the ability to have self adjusting volume that turns up and down with your speed. I just dislike how the amp is built into the control panel that is mounted on the handle bars. That is just a little too bulky. Right now I just use a Monster Ipod wireless control pod and mounted it right in front of my clutch master cyclinder, and I usually ride with one or two earbuds in.

Anyone have any experience with different speakers? Any advice if it's better to go with the bar monuts or stick with the earbuds?

any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Swamp Donkey :choppersm

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I think the Honda system looks out of place, and is way over priced.
I had the shark set-up for a bit, but it was kind of cheap and the sound was not so good.
As soon as I get some bills payed down, I plan on going with a set-up something like this, with a full sized amp in my saddlebag, and just plug my ipod or phone right in.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have speakers on my wing. At cruising speed (75) you can not hear them unless u turn them up to ear spliting. Waste of time and money. Also I had my helmet (shoei) plumbed with sound and (quality units too) I cant hear these at 75 unless you turn them up to headache level.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I have speakers on my wing. At cruising speed (75) you can not hear them unless u turn them up to ear spliting. Waste of time and money. Also I had my helmet (shoei) plumbed with sound and (quality units too) I cant hear these at 75 unless you turn them up to headache level.
Just curious, what pipes are you running?? They must be some loud ones I'm guessing!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi bear, the wing is box stock. My upper range is (hearing) shot but owise i hear fine. :)
Please don't take offence but I believe there might be something else afoot. I have more than thirty percent hearing loss in both ears from working on jets in the military. I have tinnitus and a constant ringing in both ears and I can still hear the radios in both my bikes at speed. Perhaps the mute button is pushed or something. Mine was and I didn't even know it. What a difference that made.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I have a hearing aid for the left ear and I can hear my stereo with aftermarket pipes fine without it. Can't wear it riding anyway all the wind noises would drive me nuts. Heck I hardly ever wear the darn thing.

Please don't take offence but I believe there might be something else afoot. I have more than thirty percent hearing loss in both ears from working on jets in the military. I have tinnitus and a constant ringing in both ears and I can still hear the radios in both my bikes at speed. Perhaps the mute button is pushed or something. Mine was and I didn't even know it. What a difference that made.
that's why I actually got the aid, so I could hear more sounds and drown out the stupid constant ringing(it's really more of a high pitched whine). I got it from jets too but I hated the muffs so it's mostly self inflicted.

·
Registered
780 Posts
wow we are old

My hering loss is teraceable to 35 years of sirens (not on the island) and alarms. So the state bought me top of the line hearing aids. The wind noice is amplified to hurricane lol. No good. I play my radio at 14 stationary and it is rip rear loud. 14 I can just hear at 75. I have 2 speakers in front only. :)

I have round the clock tinnitis ... actually quiet to me is 65 70 riding a motorcycle. The wind exactly counters the crickets, locust and buzzing.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I have round the clock tinnitis ... actually quiet to me is 65 70 riding a motorcycle. The wind exactly counters the crickets, locust and buzzing.
I understand completely...the worst sound to me is silence.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I understand completely...the worst sound to me is silence.

Silence, what the heck is that???? Tinnitus means it's never silent, I set the timer on the tv for a few hours to drown out as much whining as I can or I'd be up all night. I take an ambien to make sure I fall asleep for my 4 hours of beauty sleep. Heck some nights it even works!!!! The sleep part anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Silence, what the heck is that???? Tinnitus means it's never silent, I set the timer on the tv for a few hours to drown out as much whining as I can or I'd be up all night. I take an ambien to make sure I fall asleep for my 4 hours of beauty sleep. Heck some nights it even works!!!! The sleep part anyway.
Thats why silence is the worse thing. There is NO silence in this noggin!

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
My tinnitus comes and goes or should I say gets louder or nearly goes away. Just something I've learned to live with.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's what I use, until something that sounds good and doesn't look like mickey mouse ears on my handlebars

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
I have the Sounds of Chrome. They have built in amps so you can plug them in to any headphone jack and are plenty loud enough to be heard with or without hearing aids

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts