Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
55,000 miles 2007 VTX R
The speedo drops to 0 MPH then goes back to the correct reading. Have checked wiring connections and cleaned them. Bike runs correctly while the speedo problem happens. Bike kept in shed out of the weather. Have cleaned the handle bar switches several times and even replaced both of them. In the process of replacing all rubber hoses on engine (rot), which seems normal for a motorcycle (been riding for 40 years). I can't seem to get a handle on the speedo problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,652 Posts
You say you have "checked wiring connections" which I assume means the green connectors under the dash/tank. In addition, also make sure that the battery cables are tight.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
motorcycles,,,
all electrical connectors and switches are NOT weatherproof...
and not moisture protected..
plus the vibrations... from engine//wheels/road/wind....etc.

a motorcycle is NOT built like a common car.

since 2002/2003 the 1300 and 1800 are well documented to loosen the battery bolts... causing poor connections and micro-burning the battery terminals..

and the computers/electronics so dislike an unstable power supply..

·
Premium Member
10,092 Posts
55,000 miles 2007 VTX R
The speedo drops to 0 MPH then goes back to the correct reading. Have checked wiring connections and cleaned them. Bike runs correctly while the speedo problem happens. Bike kept in shed out of the weather. Have cleaned the handle bar switches several times and even replaced both of them. In the process of replacing all rubber hoses on engine (rot), which seems normal for a motorcycle (been riding for 40 years). I can't seem to get a handle on the speedo problem.
Ostensible, you momentary lost voltage to clock. Don't forget to check green connectors under tank for tightness and high resistant connection. Wishing you well!🇺🇸🇺🇸🛩🛩🛩🏍🏍

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only change made to bike is the addition of an LED headlight but it is less watts (20 vs 40) and uses the same connector. Have been through all wiring connections including those under tank and behind side panels. Ground tight.
download the service manual on this forum..

electronic speedometer... speed sensor is bad or connector for sensor..
Speed sensor is on the drive shaft?

·
Registered
402 Posts
The only change made to bike is the addition of an LED headlight but it is less watts (20 vs 40) and uses the same connector. Have been through all wiring connections including those under tank and behind side panels. Ground tight.

Speed sensor is on the drive shaft?
I would follow the speed sensor cable, which is under the left side chrome cover. Here is a video on how you install a speed healer (the healer plugs in line between the sensor and the harness):

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would follow the speed sensor cable, which is under the left side chrome cover. Here is a video on how you install a speed healer (the healer plugs in line between the sensor and the harness):

Your reading difference is the same as mine with the GPS.
Thank you for the video

·
Registered
402 Posts
Your reading difference is the same as mine with the GPS.
Thank you for the video
Just an FYI, that wasn't my video, I was the video I used to install my speed corrector.

I didn't also didn't actually use a speedohealer I did SpeedDRD (a smaller cheaper version that I also used successfully on my last bike).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts