Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Riding the 50 first....
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speedo and trip go dead and then a minute or so later so does the bike….. I have an 07 VTX 1300r with 45k original owner miles. In the middle of a long ride my battery died (I figured the battery had a few miles so I replaced it during the trip). After replacing the battery I started for home and about 150 miles into the ride my Speedo and trip went dead and a few minutes later the bike died. The battery was dead, trickle charged the battery overnight, started and ran the next day for about 20 miles then the same thing again. Once I get the bike home, get the battery charged again I will be verifying the battery is charging ion the bike using a voltmeter @ 5krevs but cannot do that yet. At this point there are no accessories running off the battery, even removed the trickle pigtail to remove potential issues. I assume I have ether a bad alternator or a short. Anyone seen this – is there an angle I am overlooking, is there a better troubleshooting regiment?
Thanks for any assistance

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
This is pretty common. Tighten the battery cables. Well, actually, loosen them and the retighten them. You might want to even give them a little wiggle before you retighten.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
The battery is probably shot. You will have to use a load tester to test it, most parts stores will test it for you if you bring it to them.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Are you tightening the battery cables with a wrench or screwdriver??..A screwdriver won't get them tight enough, and could be the problem...Although with the statement about the battery being dead and needing charged overnight, I suspect a bad battery....I've had a brand new battery go bad that quickly in a car...Took it back and got another one, no problems...Just a bad one got out the door and sold, chit happens...

·
Riding the 50 first....
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok – thanks. Just put a new battery on the bike yesterday and it is now dead after 2 hours of riding @ 70mph. Removed the cables and reattached tightening with box wrench – not screwdriver.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Ok – thanks. Just put a new battery on the bike yesterday and it is now dead after 2 hours of riding @ 70mph. Removed the cables and reattached tightening with box wrench – not screwdriver.
You need to do a slow trickle charge on a new battery to charge it 100% and it takes 12 hours or more to do it.

·
Riding the 50 first....
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Great - Thanks for the response..... I am doing the charge now and will give it another shot Wednesday..... will respond back ether way...

·
Senior Pessimist
1,202 Posts
Check the voltage before you start it, then again while running. You should see an increase in voltage which shows it is being charged.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Remove the side cover below the key then tighten the negative ground wire to the engine. It is the 10mm bolt to the right of the shift pivot point.
If it is lose it will act like a bad battery, it will also zero out the trip meter. It can act like the starter is going bad. It can act like the charging system is not working right. It may be tight but I would check it just to make sure.
Don't ask how many years it took me to figure this one out after even installing two new battery's that were also good.

Donut:patriot:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im sorry I must have replied whong the post i put was supposed to be a suggested sulution for the person who had the problem My problem wae with the radiator reservoir which was solved with the help of people on this board in fact I think you are one of the people who posted a suggestion thanx to all greatly appreciated

1 - 14 of 14 Posts