Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up my GPS to my new to me 09 VTX 1300 R. at above 60 MPH the speedo is off by 5 MPH and grows with more speed to about 7 MPH faster than my GPS shows. What have you guys done to correct this? On my 1800 Gold Wing I went with a taller tire when it was time for a new tire but the tires on my VTX are in great shape now.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
There is a speedo-healer some have installed. There were some custom speedometer back plates that being offered with custom backgrounds and the numbers were closer to accurate. Many just use math and I use a GPS.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,856 Posts
It's normal on most metric bikes.
Government only requires it to be within +/- 10% even on four wheel vehicles.

Most estimate in head or follow with traffic and not worry about it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I know that most all Honda's are off by some, and i figured this is the case on my VTX. I did hook up my GPS so i will use that as my real speed indicator until I need a new rear tire and I will go up 1 size taller if possible. If not I will just live with it

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
733 Posts
I got a SpeedoDRD speedometer corrector. It is the smallest I could find, and I have used this product on 2 different bikes (I sold the 1st one on the bike, so a bought another for my vtx1300r). Once I corrected the speedo, following the instructions, it was perfect. BUT, just so you know, Honda engineers seem to have made the speedo off by a specific %, but made the odometer accurate. What this means is, if you alter the speedometer by using a healer, you will make the odometer off.

For me, the speed is more important.

My odometer is now off by -4%. So when I have driven 100 miles on the odometer, I have actually driven 104 miles. So, when doing my mpg calculation, I just multiply miles by 1.04 before dividing it by gallons of fuel filled at the pump.

Speedometers and Odometers are off by percentages, so the faster you go, the more it will be off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a small Garmin GPS mounted on my handle bars which reads out speed digitally. It's within my field of view while riding (so I don't have to look down between my legs every time), but also accurate. It's a cheap and easy "fix" to the speedo issue on these. Plugs, it records track logs and has direction of travel, time of day, odometer (several), etc. Worth it.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
618 Posts
Honda engineers seem to have made the speedo off by a specific %, but made the odometer accurate
If your odo was accurate before the speedo healer, it was probably the only one!! Most odometers are off 2-5% and most speedometers are off 7-10%, for the VTX 1300, I can't speak for the 1800.

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
824 Posts
I just did a 10% adjustment in my head. My feeble mind isn't good at math, but I can handle 10% of round numbers lol! So I'd go a little over and it worked out pretty good.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
733 Posts
If your odo was accurate before the speedo healer, it was probably the only one!! Most odometers are off 2-5% and most speedometers are off 7-10%, for the VTX 1300, I can't speak for the 1800.
Could be so. I just assumed it was accurate, not sure why they would make them off by different percentages and then have both wrong...

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
That has always puzzled me as well but the odometers and speedometers on the VTX line of bikes all seem to be off, the two are usually off by different amounts, and these amounts are not consistent between bikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
True, not consistent between all bikes, but I would say the majority of VTX's are off by 10% fast on the speedo (3 mph fast at 30 mph, 6 mph fast at 60 mph, 9 mph fast at 90 mph, etc) and I have also observed the odometer on my two VTX's to be reading high by about 1.5 tenths of a mile for each mile ridden, and with 17,000 cross country miles on freeways, and plenty of time on my hands while riding them, I have had a lot of mile markers to clock this on (1st mile post 100.0 mi., 2nd mile post 101.15 mi., 3rd mile post 102.3 mi., etc and both bikes were consistently the same save for the occasional mile post that was not set at precisely one mile). So, when you buy a used VTX you are getting a bargain since the bike has fewer miles on it than indicated, but when you go to sell it, not so much!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 06 1300R is off by about 5mph... sometimes. Sometimes not. I just started using Glympse and it shows my speed dead on sometimes... sometimes not. It's the weirdest thing. I gave up worrying about it. I almost never ride faster than the speed limit indicated, so that means at worst I'm 5mph over or maybe 5mph under. Not gonna get busted for that in southwestern Oklahoma unless a townie is having a bad day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts