Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mystery issue: My 2006 VTX 1800-N runs perfectly except the speedo quits sometimes and usually (but not always) the FI (fuel injection malfuction) light comes on soon thereafter. That means about a 20 percent drop in power, and a flurry of backfiring on deacceleration.
At first, turning the machine off seemed to reset things back to normal. But the problem intensified. Some days no problem, some days the problem won't go away. (Yes, I checked battery terminals.)
It's stock, except for handlebars and the bored-out two-into-one sewer pipe exhaust, a delightful sounding unit that has been on the bike since day 1.
Ordinarily, it's got loads of power and gets good mileage, which makes me think the free-flowing exhaust isn't the problem. (I commute 70 miles a day @ at little over 40 mpg, and that's chasing it pretty hard most of the way.)
I got the extended warranty/service package.....so they're looking at it. They had it a week, finally called and said it's the speedometer sensor and they have to order it.
I'm hoping this will fix it, and will update this if it does.
Any ideas?? I hate electrical voodoo.
Other than that, my X is a monster. Love it!

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Check your battery cables. This is usually caused by a bad ground or loose battery cables so check those first. If that is not it then you could have a partially broken wire on the ECU around the plug.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
There is a connector under the tank if I remember right (maybe under just the dash though) that provides power to then entire instrument cluster. That may be only partially together, causing the intermittent short/loss of power. Honestly, it sounds electrical not engine related, so don't sweat it too much. If the dealer doesn't fix it for FREE, then pull off your tank and take a look at the connections. Push the connections together better and the problem will probably disappear.

·
Let's Go
61 Posts
Exact same thing happened to mine today, Speedo hasn't worked but everytime I turn off and restart the bike the FI light goes out sometimes for a while sometimes shorter. I'll check battery connections in the morning. Otherwise she's going to the Doctor on Tuesday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Carb versus F.I.

Yeah, keep us updated on what the fix is.
This is one of the con's on the Carb vs. F.I.
The F.I. has a $#!tload of sensors needed for A/F calculations (hence "programmable"). If one of those sensors - air intake; tailpipe temp; throttle position; etc., etc. - goes haywire, you'll get either the CPU trying to compensate for the faulty sensor making it run like crap or it will just go into failsafe mode and not run. That is why the F.I. light goes on. Pain-in-the-ass if you look at the T/S guide in the service manual. The carb is a totally different case - 99% mechanical.
But in your case, it sounds like it is an intermittent, with either a wire or a sensor. The tech (not mechanic) will hook it to those cpu connectors you see and run a diagnostic check just like they do on autos with F.I.

·
Let's Go
61 Posts
Okay tightened cables, they seemed pretty snug , but I put a wratchet to them and torked them somemore. Seemed to of stopped the FI light. Road around town a little and Speedo started working, that was until I made a sharp slow right hand turn. Then nothing. At the next stop sign I wiggled all the wiring coming down the forks and coming out of the headlight housing and bingo speedo working again. There's got to be a connector or something that's working itself loose.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
There are 3 wires coming off of the speed sensor going to the speedometer panel. There are 3 plug connectors and there is one wire in each plug (who designed this mess. So check all 3. It is likely one of the big connectors because it also carries the wire that goes to the ECM - triggering the FI light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts