Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally went out and did a few runs to figure out the inaccuracy of my speedometer. I recently installed an 1800 final drive on my 1300 so I figure this is the time I will REALLY need some correction..... and boy was I right! lol

Had the wife go out with me and I tracked her through various speeds. 20, 40, 45 and 55 MPH. Came home and hit up the HealTech site. I am running 16.7% over at all ranges mentioned.

More than likely I will be ordering the SpeedoHealer today. Seems like it is a little more straight forward/easier to use than counting flashing lights with the DRD unit.

Will report back to this thread when I get it and post how it stands up.

If anyone has any feedback on this unit (good or bad) please let it be known.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have one on my '06 1300R. It was very easy to install. I removed the gear shift linkage cover and unpluged the connector coming from the speed sensor. The connectors from the Speed Healer are connected in between this speed sensor connector. Then I velco'd the electronic bit to the plastic tool box cover.

With the stock final drive I was out 9% at all speeds. The speedhealer was easy to program and has fixed the speedometer error, but the odometer remains about 5% out. Not a problem for me.

I recently went on a 6,000 km trip from Nova Scotia to TN and home again. Of the 11 days 10 were wet. There were no issues with the speedhealer, it is indeed waterproof.

BTW, my initials are T.O. as well

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one on my '06 1300R. It was very easy to install. I removed the gear shift linkage cover and unpluged the connector coming from the speed sensor. The connectors from the Speed Healer are connected in between this speed sensor connector. Then I velco'd the electronic bit to the plastic tool box cover.

With the stock final drive I was out 9% at all speeds. The speedhealer was easy to program and has fixed the speedometer error, but the odometer remains about 5% out. Not a problem for me.

I recently went on a 6,000 km trip from Nova Scotia to TN and home again. Of the 11 days 10 were wet. There were no issues with the speedhealer, it is indeed waterproof.
Good to know. I too am more concerned with the speed indication than the odometer. Worst that can happen with the odometer being fast is that I do some maintenance a little early. Not a bad thing. :D

Also glad to hear that it is actually weatherproofed as it states. I have this uncanny knack for finding summer storms as they roll through.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I ran one Speedohealer on two different 1300s over six years total. Never a bit of fuss or whimper. Was able to re-program for any drivetrain mod or tire I ran.

Definitely a happy customer.

Wren

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I installed a car tire on the rear and it fixed itself.
With a Michelin Hydroedge 205/70-15 installed on my '06 1300R, the speedo is still over by about 8%. With the stock tire it was 10%+.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot about this......

Got the healer installed and all is well. I am finally showing the actual speed that I am riding at according to the method I tested with. Seems as though the SpeedoHelaer is doing the trick. And, its small enough that I just velcro'd it on the inside of the "toolbox". All I have to do is open the cover and make changes if needed down the road and there is some added protection form weather with it being in there.

I am pleased with it so far. I think (in my opinion) it was a good purchase.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I finally went out and did a few runs to figure out the inaccuracy of my speedometer. I recently installed an 1800 final drive on my 1300 so I figure this is the time I will REALLY need some correction..... and boy was I right! lol

Had the wife go out with me and I tracked her through various speeds. 20, 40, 45 and 55 MPH. Came home and hit up the HealTech site. I am running 16.7% over at all ranges mentioned.

More than likely I will be ordering the SpeedoHealer today. Seems like it is a little more straight forward/easier to use than counting flashing lights with the DRD unit.

Will report back to this thread when I get it and post how it stands up.

If anyone has any feedback on this unit (good or bad) please let it be known.
Can I ask the benefits of swapping the final drive?

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I bought a SpeedoHealer soon after buying the X. If you can, borrow a GPS and get a correct speed. I have yet to find any car with a correct speedo while some are very close others are off 4% or more. I actually used 2 different GPS units just for fun and both had the same speeds.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can I ask the benefits of swapping the final drive?
Winds up a little quicker. Similar to going from a 3.73 to a 4.11 gear ratio in a car. Just not near as dramatic with the 1300 to 1800 FD swap. It feels like it picks up a little better in all RPM ranges and I don't have the lugging I had taking turns in 2nd.

I bought a SpeedoHealer soon after buying the X. If you can, borrow a GPS and get a correct speed. I have yet to find any car with a correct speedo while some are very close others are off 4% or more. I actually used 2 different GPS units just for fun and both had the same speeds.
Thanks. I may try that soon. I know a couple people that have GPS. I wonder if there is a DROID app that would work for that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts