Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sooooo PISSED OFF about my bike!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have 1 person that I ride with most of the time and lately we have noticed that my bike is always about 10 miles per every 100 we’ve gone above hers. Well, she went on a group ride this weekend with another group and everyone was within 1 o2 miles from each other. My bike reads 10 miles over what I actually ride. It does not sound like much but that now works out to where the 7,000 miles I have on my bike should only be 6,300. That’s big and that bugs me BIG TIME!!!!

Another thing we realized is that my speedometer is not correct. At 55 and 65 mph my bike is running 5 mph less. I have been riding with my friend for about a year now. This whole time she just thought I was a slow poke and I thought she was a speed demon. We were both wrong.

This brings up lots of issues!!!!! Not just the obvious of not truly knowing how fast I am going, but now I am concerned about how high my RMP’s are when I’m running 70 – 80. I always felt like they seamed a little high but figured it didn’t bother me until my top end so I could live with it. We’ll now I realize I was only going 65 (not even the speed limit on some roads) when I felt like my RMP’s needed to come down a notch. :icon_ange I wish I knew what they were actually at but with no tac and not a big enough reason to spend money on one, I have no idea.

So now I have 2 questions…
Can the issue of the speedometer and odometer be fixed? And, can I do anything to bring down my RPM’s when I’m running at my top speeds?

And now…To everyone who has ever ridden with me… I AM SOOOO SORRY!!!!!!!! I really am not a slow poke, just didn’t want to get a ticket. Talk about embarrassing. I can only imagine how many other people I pissed off because I would not speed up thinking I was going too much over the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Speedo Healer. My speedo was about 9% off. At 80mph indicated I was actually going 72.5mph. I bought a Speedo Healer and that worked great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will this fix just the speed issue or also by odometer issues? Is this something that the dealership should take care for me. Obviously it's been broke from he get go.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
In my experience, most bikes are off by a few MPH. I usually just ignore whatever it says anyway, and go with the traffic (or a little bit faster ;) )

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
being off a little is one thing. I'm not expecting either my speedometer or odometer to be 100% accurate but 10% off on my miles and 5 mph off is a little much.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can the dealership do a test to make sure my RPM's are what they should be and not running high? Maybe I should consider getting a tac just for peace of mind.

·
Desert Recluse
1,517 Posts
My Hondas and Suzukis are off... some are on with the odometer, but all are off with the speedo... this is a known issue... first thing I do is calibrate them and then make calculations in my head (I am old, so it is easy to do... went to school a long time ago... most are off about 10%)... HD has traditionally be dead on.. don't know about the current crop of HD's, but they used to be the premier cop bike and their speedos were always "on".

Jap bikes calibrate so they read higher than actual speed.. probably a liability thing since the wacko liberal U.S. public is lawsuit happy.. (idiots)... of course those same idiots may decide to sue because their speedo is "off", but that would be a losing lawsuit (since it is calibrated low)..

I just kick back and live with it... I rode Harleys for so many years that didn't even have speedos that I really don't pay too much attention to it... I guess I am just too laid back eh??

Relax.. have a good time... the speedo is off... re-calculate in your head a 10% error and have a good time.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Can the dealership do a test to make sure my RPM's are what they should be and not running high? Maybe I should consider getting a tac just for peace of mind.
rpm is set through gear ratios in the trans and rear drive so they are a fixed setting and cannot be changed without changing all the gears.

the only thing that changes is the dia of the tire as it wears and that will only affect true mph by a very small %

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, this issue has been bugging me for a while now, too. I've been reading about the speadohealer for a while now, and after seeing this thread, I finally decided to take the plunge and ordered it. Does anyone have any experience with the version 4 that just came out?

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
being off a little is one thing. I'm not expecting either my speedometer or odometer to be 100% accurate but 10% off on my miles and 5 mph off is a little much.
Honda knows all about the seedometer issue, and basically say "Too bad, it's within the accepted margin of error":spank:....So they aren't going to do anything about it....Sucks, but that's just the way it is...

·
GreatLakesRoadRiders.org
1,410 Posts
I agree with you 100%. Not having an accurate speedometer or odometer was a real problem for me, for several reasons. I bought the Speedo Healer, adjusted for the ~9% I was off, and now I'm all set. I'm just pissed that I had to spend >100 bucks to correct an issue that shouldn't have existed at all.

Well, this issue has been bugging me for a while now, too. I've been reading about the speadohealer for a while now, and after seeing this thread, I finally decided to take the plunge and ordered it. Does anyone have any experience with the version 4 that just came out?
I bought mine in the very late fall of 07, so if this v4 is brand new, I must not have it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The speedo error costs Honda in the long run. This issue, along with a couple others like requiring valve adjustments (the VT1100 Shadows, first produced in 1985, had self-adjusting valves) and all the plastic, were major factors when I had to replace my VTX.

The VTX was my 4th Honda, and the VTX was replaced with a Harley Dyna. When the time comes for my next bike Honda can be sure I'll spend a lot of time questioning their various Service Managers and reviewing servicing requirements before I decide. Any balking on info or archaic maintenance requirements and I'd be ancient history.

IMHO, there is no excuse for a 10% error in anything, much less in a speedometer where maintenance and driving speed are dependent on its accuracy. My VTX was one of the luckier ones, with a 6% error, but it still equated to lower than indicated MPG and longer to reach a destination than pre-calculated.

SilverVTX

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
The best way to check your Speedo and Odometer is to use a GPS. Don't count on anyone elses speedo to be accurate. I have not found one speedo, on a car,truck or bike that is completely 100% accurate. I have 4 Hondas (3 cars, 1bike), was 5, and not one speedo is correct. My X and my 2000 Accord are off over 9%. My odometer on the bike is not off, only the speedo. THis can not be fixed by any Honda dealer. THe Speedo Healer is the way to go if it bothers you, it did me, so I added one and it is great. I can adjust the Healer for tire size or even air pressure. THe good thing about teh healer is, you cn add it in or take it out easily so if you go tosell you bike you can always remove it and sell it seperately or move it to another X.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts