Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004 VTX 1300 and there's a very loud rattle coming from the plastic speedometer housing. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
Try touching different parts of the speedo housing when it is rattling to determine where the problem lies. is it the main housing rattling on its mounting points? Is it the speedometer face rattling in the main housing? Once you determine the specific source you can try to put small thin plastic washers under the screws that hold the housing to the tank. These screws come with plastic washers from the factory but these often become lost. You may also need to stuff something flexible like some bubblewrap under the speedo housing if no other means of eliminating the rattle work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had that with my 1300 also, and fixed the problem with a length of small rubber tubing that I split and slid it over the edge of the whole thing. Had to take it off to do that but it's easy with the removal of the few screws that hold it on. If you can find a piece of rubber edging like goes on a car door or something like that would work better, I'm sure but I used what I had and it's been fine for the past 12 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2006. Same issue here as well as my brothers bike. We took off the chrome outside piece and then cut pieces of double stick foam tape and placed between outside chrome housing case and the outer edges of the clear speedometer face. It worked for us. Others have posted its where the hex bolts affixed the chrome piece to the metal bracket. They have put plastic washers, etc. between the chrome plastic and and the metal and said that fixed it? So you have a few options to play with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had luck slicing small rubber plumbing washers in half with a utility knife. A dab of RTV held them to the bracket on the tank. Hasn't rattled since.

·
Registered
Vtx 1300 s 2007
2 Posts
I recently bought a 2004 VTX 1300 and there's a very loud rattle coming from the plastic speedometer housing. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
I used rubber o rings between the speedo and tank on the mounting scre

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
691 Posts
Try touching different parts of the speedo housing when it is rattling to determine where the problem lies. is it the main housing rattling on its mounting points? Is it the speedometer face rattling in the main housing? Once you determine the specific source you can try to put small thin plastic washers under the screws that hold the housing to the tank. These screws come with plastic washers from the factory but these often become lost. You may also need to stuff something flexible like some bubblewrap under the speedo housing if no other means of eliminating the rattle work.
I think this is the most important thing about this rattle. There are several points that these things can rattle. If you want you can address every point where it can rattle, cover to tank contact points, cover to internals contact point, internals to tank (not 100% sure there is a point where the internals can make contact with the tank, even a piece of foam between may help). But it may only be one or more of these points that is causing the issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was having the same issue with mine, removed it and put it back on and now it's worse. I need to take it off again. Only does it at certain speeds:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same as well. Had taken it off and put it back on after removing gas tank. Mine was loud enough that it was almost embarrassing. I knew where the rattle came from and was able to use rubber plumbing o rings on the mount screws. I also went ahead and put them on all mounts as well as used some of the other options mentioned above. Might as well get all things in there nice and snug. Took me awhile before I did find the culprit but now all I quiet. Now I need it to warm up so I can ride. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. I put small neoprene washers under all 7 housing bolts and the rattle is gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts