Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer recently stopped working, intermittently. Was wondering if anyone else has experience this (03 1800C).
Started with F1 light solid, would go out after restart.
Then speedometer stopped working got a 11 code (long, short) fine after restarting.
Cleaned (crc electrical cleaner) 3P plug under left cover was reading 11.59V.
No F1 light but speedometer stopped working then would start working again, re-starting didn't help.
Cleaned 6P in headlight, read 11.54V.
Last dealer I took it to rounded out the seat bolt so didn't check the 7P under the seat yet or continuity from 3P to 6P.

·
Registered
22 Posts
on my '06 C, the gasket where the speedo mounts is very loose and forms a poor seal. water can get in and sit in the bottom which can corrode the pins. Has been a problem for me and it causes speedo and trip to malfunction. Might check if you have been wet lately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, usually wet and the battery is probably the original. Manual stated 12V on the 3P (wasn't sure if that was regulated in some fashion) and elsewhere just to have a voltage reading.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the terminal voltage and it's 12.95V may be in the harness from the battery to the headlight as I don't know why that would read 11.54V.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the 3P check I ran the engine about 20s and shut off to check (section 5-33). The rest of the checks including the battery terminal voltage were with the engine off. I am probably going to take this to the shop, ended up busting the grab rail, fender bracket trying to get the seat off (hex bolt rounded on the seat from the last shop probably putting it on with an air tool). I'll have them load test the battery and I'll post what they find. Usually 11.80V indicates a dead battery so the 11.54V reading is a might suspicious. Appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the first check at the shop they said the only thing that they could find was a loose battery cable (felt really silly at this point) ... not the problem, got about 1/2 mile from the shop and speedometer shut off. It ended up being the speed sensor which passed the initial test. Had this replaced and no problems since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts