Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever fixed a speedometer? It has power to it but does not register any speed or miles. HELP before I get a ticket.

·
High-Tech Redneck
1,039 Posts
Don't know if you've done it already, but check both green connectors under the front of the tank that go to the speedo. Hope that helps.

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
First thing to check will be those two small connectors that are stuffed up under the front right side of the gas tank as you are sitting on the bike. I had the same issue once and those where just loose. You may need to clean them up a bit and reconnect them.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Late last year mine started to not work and work off and on. Had to replace the speed sensor. Dealer did it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I agree with starting out checking the plugs first, just be sure to be gentle with them there pretty fragile.
Mine kept zeroing out the trip meters because of a loose connection in the plugs. The way I cured mine was to run a zip tie around the center of the each plug between the wires, now there held together tight and I haven't had a problem since. If you turn your bars to the left you should be able to get to them without removing anything.

P.S. Once you get them fixed, if you ever need to remove the tank don't unhook them. Just unbolt the bottom 3 screws on the console and raise the dash up and strap it to the bars so the tank will come off while the fragile clips are left alone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
After checking your green connectors, if it still doesn't work you might want to look at the speed sensor. The steps for troubleshooting it are in the manual. You need a special adapter to do it right. I didn't go through all the steps for that reason. I found a used one on e-bay for $50, it solved my problem. Before total failure, I had intermittent operation. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the green connectors to make sure they are connected properly and it still does not work. What is the speed sensor?

OK, I found my manual and see what the speed sensor is but what tool I need to test it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The method for troubleshooting the speed sensor is in the electrical section of the manual. The special tool sounded like a pig-tail wiring harness to me.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
OK - I know you said you checked both the green connectors. But I'd go back and check them again very very very closely with a magnifying glass -sometimes the small pins in the sockets get pushed back into the connector just a little and don't make contact. You have to look very close.
This has happened many times before - I had one person go back and look four times before he found it. He was getting mad at me for insisting so much.
All dash info goes threw those green plugs.
Only other thing is the sensor.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I just want to stay updated on how this goes incase I have a similar problem. I learn so much from this place it's great. Hope you get it worked out soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine just started doing this last week as well. First it was intermittent right after start up, then it worked fine the rest of the day. Now I've got no speed indications and the mileage isn't moving. Power is going through everything, so I'm going to check out the green connectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a 2007 1800 and I'm in the same boat no speedo no odometer... Are these green plugs/wires under the console on the tank or under the tank by the frame?

·
Premium Member
10,097 Posts
OK - I know you said you checked both the green connectors. But I'd go back and check them again very very very closely with a magnifying glass -sometimes the small pins in the sockets get pushed back into the connector just a little and don't make contact. You have to look very close.
This has happened many times before - I had one person go back and look four times before he found it. He was getting mad at me for insisting so much.
All dash info goes threw those green plugs.
Only other thing is the sensor.
Ditto above......

·
Premium Member
10,097 Posts
After checking green connectors real good, disconnect speed sensor harness connection (where speed sensor connects to power). Assure clean then reconnect.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Look inside the two connectors everyone is speaking of. Look to see if any of the wired are bent and not allowing the plugs to go together. I bent two wires in the plugs the last time I took off the fuel tank to do the wiring I wanted to do.

·
Premium Member
10,097 Posts
Don't disconnect green electrical connectors to remove tank, remove the three most bottom screws of speedometer housing. Carefully lift speedometer assemble and move toward front of bike and when assemble is free, hang out of your way with wire or string. Do not allow this assemble to hang by the wire harness!

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts

Speedometer--You don't need no stinkin' speedometer man! :icon_drun

·
Registered
291 Posts
How do you get the green connectors apart? I do not want to crack them !
I used a small flat head screw driver, the kind that you used to use from the RatShack before the store went downhill. Ya know, the one with the little swivel head on top. Maybe 1/16" size on the head of the blade. Depress the little knobby thing with a tiny screwdriver and gently pull it apart. At least one of mine came pre-broken with no ill effects though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts