Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:hmm2:my speedometer and odometer just started going crazy. speedometer started jumping from 65 to 0 back and forth, then the odometer would go blank. The bike then would cut out. We were caught in a rain storm but the crazy speedometer and odometer started just before the cutting out happened about 60 miles into rain storm. I havent had time to check the battery connection had to work but I am looking for suggestions on what it may be if that is not the problem. your input is greatly appreciated. Happy and safe riding. its a 2005 not 2004

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
You're on the right track...Check the easy stuff first...The battery connections tend to come loose from vibration....Tighten them with a wrench, not a screwdriver....If that doesn't cure it, then check the the green connections under the right front part of the gas tank....Might have gotten wet in there....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a million

thanks for the help I appreciate it stuck on duty and cant get the problem off my mind. I will start with those and hope for the best. Happy and safe riding.:cheers:

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have found on my VTX1300, and several other Honda models, that teh RUN-STOP switch will go bad. When this happens, you may develop either a short to ground (blown 10 Amp ignition fuses is the indicator) or an open circuit to your ignition module and coils.
Either way, the Speed-O will start going nut-so and the bike will start to cut off or stop running altogether.
If your battery cables are clean and tight at both ends, check, replace or by-pass your RUN-STOP switch correctly.

Joe Licketto
Owner
Madness Motorcycle, LLc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loose Battery cable

Yep you guys were right loose battery cable vibrated loose positive and negative. Would have never guessed that they would have done that. Thanks for all your help. Happy and safe riding:drunk:

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is a GREAT site. I haven't looked yet but I just went thru the SAME CRAZY CONDITIONS the last ride. Now I know where to look. Beats sliced white bread 9 ways to Sunday! Thanks guys!

·
33,457 Posts
This is a GREAT site. I haven't looked yet but I just went thru the SAME CRAZY CONDITIONS the last ride. Now I know where to look. Beats sliced white bread 9 ways to Sunday! Thanks guys!
Where you been man?!?!?!?!.....I get all kinds of compliments on that airbox cover you did....I've never seen another like it either!!!!...:cheers:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have been riding daily in Reno. Where were YOU during Street Vibes? The airbox looks sweet. I'm posting my pics of my new tribal VTX logo Sissy Bar backplate in a few. Of course, you have first dibs if you want one too. Can't imagine you would... it doesn't go with your theme...;)

·
33,457 Posts
I have been riding daily in Reno. Where were YOU during Street Vibes? The airbox looks sweet. I'm posting my pics of my new tribal VTX logo Sissy Bar backplate in a few. Of course, you have first dibs if you want one too. Can't imagine you would... it doesn't go with your theme...;)
Sounds cool, but it wouldn't be seen very well....I've got a leather trunk bag that's too durn handy to take off the bike....Can't wait to see it though....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts