Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help getting the vibration out of my tank mounted speedometer. I have put o-rings under screws, adjust mounting bracket at front of tank. I'm lost can't stand the vibration noise. Please HELP!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Is the speedo actually viberating or is it the whole bezel? Only the bottom 3 screws hold the bezel onto the tank and he upper 4 screws hold the speedo into the bezel. If the speedo is actually vibrating then remove the bezel and look at the under side and make sure the speedo is seated correctly into the bezel. If the bezel has been off before then it may have not been seated correctly at the front.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speedo is vibrating inside bezel. I have tried several different methods. I was hoping someone on the forum had fix.:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Speedo is vibrating inside bezel. I have tried several different methods. I was hoping someone on the forum had fix.:confused:
Try moving the "O" rings to the underside of the bezel on the screws between the bezel and the speedo bracket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went for a quick ride mscales, I could put my finger on lower left corner of speedo clear face and the vibration went away. I think its the speedo rubbing where it meets the bezel. Any suggestions?

:confused: :mad: :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
First, where are you putting the "O" ring? If you are putting it under the head of the screw then that is not the right place to put it. Remember, the bottom 3 screws hold the BEZEL on and have nothing to do with the speedo. Remove the bottom 3 screws from the bezel and lift the bezel up and turn it over if you can. You will have ot remove teh gas cap to do this so after you remove the gas cap place a piece of tape over the fill hole so you wont drop anything into the fuel tank. Do not forget to do this! Once you drop something into the tank it will be hard to remove. Next, remove the 4 upper screws from the bezel and it will release the speedo from the bezel. Now, take your "O" rings and place them onto the speedo mount (you might want to use a little adhesive to hold them on) and remount the Speedo into the bezel. This shold work and stop the rattle or vibration. If not, remove the speedo from the bezel again. Now, there are 2 screws that hold the speedo to the mounting bracket. Use a washer as needed on these 2 screws between the bracket and the housing to raise the height of the speedo in the mount. One of these two ways will fix you problem if the bezel is not warped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The o rings didn't work for me either. From another post, I got some of the smallest rubber spline used to hold screens into a frame and carefully pushed it between the speedo lens and the housing. No more rattle!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I now have rubber washers between the tank mount and the bezel, and between the speedo and the speedo mount in the bezel, and I have added some small foam rubber strips to the edges of the speedo face under the bezel, and a small pad of foam shelf liner between the speedo and the tank. It seems to have stopped the vibration. Should be interesting to see how much I have to redo when the tech has to take off the tank to adjust the valves at 8,000 miles.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here is another link with all sorts of fixes for all sorts of problems. There are two ideas for this fix. I preferred the second one with the paper holes. Here is a copy of the text from the link.

Speedo rattle fixed
Posted By: Pöi§ön
I’ve had an annoying speedo rattle since my 13ooC was new. Took care of it a few days ago and thought I’d share since it seems to have taken care of it. Used some #7 rubber "O" rings I found in Lowes plumbing department. $1.50 for a ten pack. Here is the step by step:

Remove the gas cap. Loosen the upper 4 mounting screws. Remove the bottom three, and tilt the speedo unit up and push back. It should now be free from the tank except for the wires. Slip a soft cloth under the unit to protect your tank and keep you from dropping anything into the gas hole. Now remove the upper 4 bolts and the speedo unit will drop out. You will probably have to re-position the weather stripping at the bottom of the lens. Now… the idea is to sandwich the rubber O rings between the metal mounting tabs and the plastic housing at all seven points. To temporarily hold the O rings in place, I rubbed them across a plain old glue stick and centered them over the threaded metal tabs. I did the 4 that hold the speed unit first and screwed them in. Those were the hardest as it was mildly difficult to line the holes back up without disturbing the weather stripping. Now stick the O rings on the bottom 3 points and slide the housing back into place. There is a tab on the tank that slips into a groove at the front of the unit. Make sure the rubber didn’t fall off of it, and check to be sure the 2 rubber feet on the front of the housing are still in place. Screw the last 3 bolts in and tighten everything up. Total time - 2 beers. Not very difficult at all. I’ve ridden a few hundred miles so far and not a peep from it. I don’t see how it could since all metal to plastic points are cushioned with rubber. Rubber washers would work as well but I couldn’t find any that looked thin enough. The O rings flattened right out and didn’t raise the housing much. Hope this helps any of you with this annoying rattle.

Here is another thought;
richw56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:41 pm Post subject: Variation On The Speedo Rattle Fix Reply with quote
I was using o-rings to address my speedo rattle, based on Poison's excellent advice in earlier posts. (I wish I understood the bike half as well as that guy does.)
But I got pi$$ed off a couple of weeks ago when I removed the speedo housing to straighten out a bad connection to the trip meter switch, and promptly started accidentally knocking the o-rings off the bike and onto the floor (it's not easy to keep them in place when taking the speedo housing off and on, although using glue stick does help a lot).
So I decided to experiment with 'reinforcement labels'. These are the washer-shaped labels that are used to reinforce the holes in a sheet of looseleaf paper (so it doesn't get torn out of a binder too easily).
They have light adhesive on one side, and are a perfect shape for this application. I stacked the labels eight high for each spot (to give them a little thickness). The hole in the center is exactly the right size, and they stay put because of the light adhesive.
Cost is no factor -- I picked up a pack of 544 of the things at the local drug store for 99 cents.
Most importantly, it did the job. No rattle at all, and I've done quite a bit of riding since putting these in.

Here is the link: http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm#speedorattle

Go to the top of the page and you will see links to all sorts of other fixes.

·
Go Boilers!!
413 Posts
Just resolved my vibration issue. It turned out to be one of the screws that holds the speedo in. Even know it was tighten down it still moved. Used an allen wrench a tried to move all the screws. Ended up taking the bottom three out again and removed and installed the loose screw, this time applying pressure to the speedo bracket from underneath with my fingers. Tight now and no rattle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am not sure if you solved your problem but I cured my because the vibs drove me nuts.

I did it a few years back and it was an instant cure.

If I recall, I removed the screws from speedo top cover and then the speedo mounted to the top cover and i reassembled using rubber washers to absorb the vibs. works like a charm

·
Registered
45 Posts
This cure worked for me too. I had to use o rings on all the screws, trie this two weeks ago and haven't heard that annoying rattle since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need some help getting the vibration out of my tank mounted speedometer. I have put o-rings under screws, adjust mounting bracket at front of tank. I'm lost can't stand the vibration noise. Please HELP!
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I had the same problem, after several attempts without success to stop. I took the bezel off speedometer, used black silicone between bezel and speedometer, then retightened screws and assembled. Wiped off extra silicone from speedometer face and let it dry. No more vibration. Worked for me

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just wondering, do any of these posts have to do with a "vibrating" needle? My speedo needle seems to move back and forth more than it should ( I think). It's not a steady movement as it moves when riding like my car. The needle is still as it changes speed. It doesn't seem like a huge deal. Just wondering if this a problem that will get worse or if its caused by the issues described here. I had the vibrating speedo housing years ago. I knew it cause when I pressed down on it with my left hand while moving, it would stop. It was very loud and annoying at first....till I got loud pipes! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts