Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm about to change the stock air box cover because it has melted off. According to a previous thread, it's probably due to backfiring from the carb. You can check the thread if you're interested. Search (melted air housing).

I really like the look of the spike air cleaner plus it's a lot cheaper than a hyper-charger. Is it any better than the stock air box? And if I do put on a spike air cleaner do I still need to jet the bike or just tuning it would be fine?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey,

I'm about to change the stock air box cover because it has melted off. According to a previous thread, it's probably due to backfiring from the carb. You can check the thread if you're interested. Search (melted air housing).

I really like the look of the spike air cleaner plus it's a lot cheaper than a hyper-charger. Is it any better than the stock air box? And if I do put on a spike air cleaner do I still need to jet the bike or just tuning it would be fine?
I am not a mechanic. But when my Hyper-Charger was installed. They said it was a must to install the "other jets". Well, they did it and
bike ran way to bad. The bike was new. I kept it like that for a little while until it just got never worked it way out ( like they proclaimed it would ). So I went to another dealer. And they had some real "Professional Mechanics" there. They replaced jets back with the OEM jets. Bike has been running perfect. Mechanics there told that bikes need to be run with the new accesories and see before new jets are just thrown in the bikes.
Now that what I was told >>> They handed me the "other jets" back in a little plastic zip lock.

.......... two guns

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Yes you must rejet the carb. The spike intake a lot more than the stock box and hyper charger

Sent from a stone tablet and chisel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not a mechanic. But when my Hyper-Charger was installed. They said it was a must to install the "other jets". Well, they did it and
bike ran way to bad. The bike was new. I kept it like that for a little while until it just got never worked it way out ( like they proclaimed it would ). So I went to another dealer. And they had some real "Professional Mechanics" there. They replaced jets back with the OEM jets. Bike has been running perfect. Mechanics there told that bikes need to be run with the new accesories and see before new jets are just thrown in the bikes.
Now that what I was told >>> They handed me the "other jets" back in a little plastic zip lock.

.......... two guns
i've heard a similar experience too and that's why I had to ask this question. I'll try installing the spike on it's own at first and then maybe try jetting the bike.

thanx...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you must rejet the carb. The spike intake a lot more than the stock box and hyper charger

What if I just don't reject the carb with the spike?
i live in Egypt and it takes weeks to have one delivered and I must change the cover because it's melted.
Do you think it's better to look for a stock air box instead of the spike in my situation?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If you want to put on the spike - OK. But you will have to rejet - guaranteed. Order a Factory Pro Stage 3 jet kit at the same time. Then you have all the stuff needed.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
What if I just don't reject the carb with the spike?
i live in Egypt and it takes weeks to have one delivered and I must change the cover because it's melted.
Do you think it's better to look for a stock air box instead of the spike in my situation?
There is no way youll be able to run the spike intake without rejetting. Oreder a factory pro jet kit at the same time that you order the spike intake just as the old fool said

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx a lot guys, you been a great help.
last question, I have a modified stock exhaust and now I'll add the spike too. Which jet kit stage do I need?
Since I'm running on the stock pipes, do I get stage 2 or 3?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts