Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting new tires on the 2007 VTS S I just bought. I'm a first timer with spokes. I'm wondering if the heavy weights in the picture could be factory delivered wheel weights or if they are more likely the old tire balance weights? The next question I have is what should I expect if I throw the naked wheel on a static balance rack? Should the valve hole rise to the top because the wheel is factory balanced to be heaviest opposite the valve stem? I should be able to figure things out if I go slow. I just like to know what to expect, and if there are any good recommendations out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
654 Posts
Take them off, put in two bottles of Ride-On dynamic Balancer and Sealer.

It really does properly balance your wheels.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ride on is great stuff. Saved my @$$ one time when i had a nail in the rear tire. I never noticed any balancing issues cause when I used it I also had the weights installed on the wheel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ride on is great stuff. Saved my @$$ one time when i had a nail in the rear tire. I never noticed any balancing issues cause when I used it I also had the weights installed on the wheel
Thanks guys, I ordered ride on. It looks really good on the website. I genrally slime my tires after static balance anyway. Rideon appears to be worth the minimal extra cost.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Where did you get it. I had trouble getting it months ago cause of covid (I called company and they said that's why). So I stopped looking. They must have it around again now

·
Registered
91 Posts
If your running tubes, don’t think ride on will work.
Not meant for tubes, unless the wheels are sealed.

I have the Dyna Beads on my S with tubes.
Runs smooth and removed the weights.
Not going to help with a blow out, but have the TPMS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you get it. I had trouble getting it months ago cause of covid (I called company and they said that's why). So I stopped looking. They must have it around again now
I ordered from Walmart.com, but it ships from Bikesomewhere. 32oz for $29.95 plus $5.95. May not get it until Dec 3rd.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
654 Posts

Ride-on works with tubes. I would be better to seal up the spokes, but it is designed to work with tubes too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The ride on website indicates it works on tube tires as well although it is not as efficient at stopping leaks as with tubless tires. I guess tubes are relatively thin and they often tear at the puncture.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had tubes when I had the nail in my tire. Was even riding 2up! It wasn't a huge nail but it was in there good

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I agree. I started riding again in 2016 on tubless tires with slime. In 20,000 miles I picked up 2 small nails in rear tires. I pulled the nails and monitored the tires. Marked the penetrations with liquid paper on the side of the tires. Looked for sealant leakage, loss of tire pressure, and visual indication of real tire damage that would indicate a bad cord. As far as I could tell the tires were perfect through end of life retirement. Now that I have spoke wheels I expect my personal procedure will be exactly the same, except I'll install a new tube and sealant after I pull the nail. The ratings on these tires are like 1 1/2 times the highest load I'll ever run and more than twice the speed I'll ever run.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That’s good to know with the tubes and the Ride-On.
My tires are about to age out.
Back then was not much info on running it with the tubes, so went with the beads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts