Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks
I have a 1300 R type 2007 with 5000 miles+

I know its time for the 5000m check but first I would like to know what is wrong.

Recently we have been having below 40°F (4°C) in the morning so every start is on choke, I work very close to my home (I should walk to work, but I can't see the fun in that) so the bike is ridden more or less cold, exept for 1-2 nights in a week.

No matter if the engine is hot or cold, a slightest increase on throttle makes the engine stall for a seccond, the overall performance is poor and there is a very noticable smell of petrol.

I replaced the spark plugs 2 days ago, they were not noticable worn but they were black, I measured the gap to be correct. The result of new sparks - a racer-like power :), but now I have the feeling that its getting poorer by the minute.

What is wrong?????

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,132 Posts
You are using your choke and fouling your plugs. It's actually a fuel enricher and dumps more gas in your bike.

Open your A/F screw 1/2 a turn out and you should be able to start your bike without ever using the choke.

A/F screw is a D shaped brass screw on the bottom of your carb. They make a special wrench for it, but I used the plastic end of a blue electrical connector to turn mine

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
You are using your choke and fouling your plugs. It's actually a fuel enricher and dumps more gas in your bike.

Open your A/F screw 1/2 a turn out and you should be able to start your bike without ever using the choke.

A/F screw is a D shaped brass screw on the bottom of your carb. They make a special wrench for it, but I used the plastic end of a blue electrical connector to turn mine

Yup...What he said...

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
if you use your choke, use it for a few minutes to get the bike started and go about a block or two then push it back in....even if it stalls, dont use it again.....it increases the fuel delivered to your carb....black stuff will come out of your pipes and your plugs will foul, as you prob already have done.....that's what I do in under 40-50 degree weather......never ride with it on for more than a few minutes!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
if you use your choke, use it for a few minutes to get the bike started and go about a block or two then push it back in....even if it stalls, dont use it again.....it increases the fuel delivered to your carb....black stuff will come out of your pipes and your plugs will foul, as you prob already have done.....that's what I do in under 40-50 degree weather......never ride with it on for more than a few minutes!
I've never rode the bike even 5 feet with the choke (enricher) out...When I actually needed to use it, I would pull it out and start the bike, then every 5-10 seconds push it back in some until it would idle with it all the way in....Even in 40 degree weather the bike would idle on it's own within 3 minutes or so...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Sounds like you probably have a combination of two problems - using the choke and then not getting the bike hot enough to clean (burn off) the plugs. As others have said, set the AF screw 2 1/2 turns out from lightly closed. You will never have to use the choke again and the hesitation off idle will be gone. You have to remove the tank and air box to get to the AF adjustment. Since you have to go to all that trouble, my suggestion is to get the permanent AF screw from http://glensvtxgarage.com/aftool.html Scroll down to the bottom of the page. He includes a tool to remove the existing screw. Now you can adjust the AF anytime you need to.

In the meantime, take the long way to work so that you warm that bike up well.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
My book says no more than 30 seconds with the choke then feather the throttle till it will idle on its own.

I got tired of fouled plugs and removed the enricher and yes I ride the bike in the 30s

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
If it's staling after it is warmed up. You do need to open the A/f up as said above but you might have to raise the idle up a little too. It's the black knob on the right side between the cylinders on the bottom.

Donut:patriot:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys, worked like a charm - except for one "minor" side effect, I dropped the F**** gas tank when unplugging the dash, a few deep scratches, better get that paint to cover them before it get rusty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts