Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a bit of a stalling problem. Seems to sometimes stall even while hot, such as at a redlight. Last week a few times on the highway it backfired upon an aggressive twist on the throttle. I have removed the pair last year and this is the first backfire since.

1300 c with cobra speedsters with baffles removed, aeromach 360, 2 turns out. Shortened the carb spring... No shims.

Also she cant maintain idle with some twists in neutral.

Feedback please.:hmm2:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
To have the tuning guru's jump in and figure it out, they'll needs some more details like how long has it been between the carb tuning and the problem starting etc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuned the carb last august... its been running fine since. The problem started last week... about 200 miles ago. (16,500 total)

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Tuned the carb last august... its been running fine since. The problem started last week... about 200 miles ago. (16,500 total)
Hmmm, if it's all of the sudden just taking a wild guess I'd say it sounds like you got some bad gas or need to check/change the plugs.
But other things to check are tighten the battery cables, and check for the common broken green wire while your there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hmmm, if it's all of the sudden just taking a wild guess I'd say it sounds like you got some bad gas or need to check/change the plugs.
But other things to check are tighten the battery cables, and check for the common broken green wire while your there.
+1

cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with Doug check the battery cables and make sure they are tight. I couple months ago the green wire going to my ECM broke and my bike was having similar problems. Check all the wires going to your ECM and see if you have a broken one. The new pipes will cause the bike to vibrate more and because those wires going to you ECM are so tight they will brake off.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
your idle may be to low, with loud pipes everyone wants to hear the lope.

there is a screen going into the carb at the fuel line attachment it could also be filled with crap and not letting the fuel flow free into the carb bowl.

bad gas or even a little water build up from the damm ethanol will also cause the problems, there is a screw near the bottom of the float bowl to drain the bowl you might want to do that to see if there might be some water.

bad or worn plugs I run the champions RA8HC

battery cables loose use a wrench on them.

follow the link for hot to set up a carb properly.
http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,lower_rpm_engines.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have this similar problem yesterday. Started fine and ran fine in the morning. Sat for a little while in the afternoon. Started fine, ran fine for a little while and while I was slowing to a stop, with the clutch pulled in, in stalled. Started back up, ran for 10-15 sec and stalled. Started to go back to where I live and while I was doing around 55-60 mph, bogged down, revved back up to where it should have been and gave the biggest, loudest backfire I have ever heard, and then it came back to where it should have been.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts