Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it ! Hooray ! Patting myself on the back for doing a job that I've never done before. Replaced the start/stop switch assembly. I know there are alot of experienced motorcycle mechanics on this site, and that's a good source of information, thanks for that. I have an above average mechanical ability, but when you have never worked on a particular engine it is a challenge. I took it on, with help from this site and youtube videos, many trips back and forth to my computer got her done. I have a proclivity of doing things "backwards" and that slowed me down. I will say, there are more then a "few" steps to accomplish this. Have to be patient and remember how it came apart. Anyway, just wanted to toot my own horn, and say, don't be intimidated by the task. Use the resources available, this site and the vast internet. Partzilla is a good source for parts diagrams. Also good prices. Happy riding.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Good job!

Are you sure your original switch was bad, and didn't just need cleaning and lubing? If you aren't sure, hold onto it and open it up. You may be able to keep this, clean it and sell it (or hold onto it for spare parts).

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
just a Note..

use your cell phone to take photos before a part is disconnected.... hose or wire or whatever...
transfer them to the computer for larger viewing..

the old days.. I did pencil line drawings..
back when I was a kid.

retired mechanic ( all things that ran on gasoline )
I use a digital camera these days..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good job!

Are you sure your original switch was bad, and didn't just need cleaning and lubing? If you aren't sure, hold onto it and open it up. You may be able to keep this, clean it and sell it (or hold onto it for spare parts).
I did do a cleaning and re lube, twice. The contacts on the bottom were uneven and you had to jiggle it to make contact. New one is awesome.

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
I did do a cleaning and re lube, twice. The contacts on the bottom were uneven and you had to jiggle it to make contact. New one is awesome.
Keep that new switch in good condition by cleaning and lubing the contacts and slider every couple of years (before you have trouble)! The old contacts were probably overheated and burned / warped by not being clean and passing extra high current when dirty. It seems counter intuitive that high resistance would cause higher current flow but high resistance causes voltage drop and when voltage drops current flow requirements go up to do the same job.

·
Premium Member
10,092 Posts
Well I did it ! Hooray ! Patting myself on the back for doing a job that I've never done before. Replaced the start/stop switch assembly. I know there are alot of experienced motorcycle mechanics on this site, and that's a good source of information, thanks for that. I have an above average mechanical ability, but when you have never worked on a particular engine it is a challenge. I took it on, with help from this site and youtube videos, many trips back and forth to my computer got her done. I have a proclivity of doing things "backwards" and that slowed me down. I will say, there are more then a "few" steps to accomplish this. Have to be patient and remember how it came apart. Anyway, just wanted to toot my own horn, and say, don't be intimidated by the task. Use the resources available, this site and the vast internet. Partzilla is a good source for parts diagrams. Also good prices. Happy riding.
Congratulations, keep up the good work!🇺🇸🇺🇸🛩🛩🛩🏍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts