Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

My tenant has a 2007 VTX 1300. Today I decided to give him a hand and install new Boss speakers on the front handle bars. Removed the seat, undid the tank bolt, slid the tank back and rested it to the left side. Ran my wires, mounted the speakers, put everything back together and ensured speakers worked. Fired up the bike to make sure battery wasn't drained and let her idle for a minute...and then she stalled out! She cranks, we smell fuel like smell, but she won't turn over. I didn't touch anything near the petcock, the hoses remain connected. Tenant says he's never had a problem with the bike...fires up first time everytime.

We tried to unflood (owners manual) full throttle then try to crank...still nothing. Made sure vent hose was connected...

Any ideas gents?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Howdy folks,

My tenant has a 2007 VTX 1300. Today I decided to give him a hand and install new Boss speakers on the front handle bars. Removed the seat, undid the tank bolt, slid the tank back and rested it to the left side. Ran my wires, mounted the speakers, put everything back together and ensured speakers worked. Fired up the bike to make sure battery wasn't drained and let her idle for a minute...and then she stalled out! She cranks, we smell fuel like smell, but she won't turn over. I didn't touch anything near the petcock, the hoses remain connected. Tenant says he's never had a problem with the bike...fires up first time everytime.

We tried to unflood (owners manual) full throttle then try to crank...still nothing. Made sure vent hose was connected...

Any ideas gents?

Many thanks in advance.
Did you try and put all the wiring back to the way it was like disconnect what ever changes you made and try to start it just to rule out that what ever you did with the wiring is not the problem?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just to confirm, when the starter button is pressed, the motor turns over, but won’t run. If nothing was disconnected at the petcock, how did you remove the gas tank? What position is the petcock selector at? How much gas is in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Too short for my weight
5,654 Posts
Check the vent line at the back of the tank... make sure it’s connected/not kinked

·
Too short for my weight
5,654 Posts
Also, may sound silly, but make sure the petcock is turned on.

Reactions: JohnPaul2007VTX1300

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
671 Posts
I don't know how many times I have missed one of the two things that @Fishingfoolemjak said. It usually always is one of these 4:

1) Vacuum and/or Fuel line to petcock not connected
2) Petcock not flipped back to On
3) Tank Vent connected, but line kinked
4) Engine Cut switch off

Since it sounds like you didn't disconnect the fuel and vacuum line to the petcock, I would make sure that the other side of the vent line didn't get pulled off. I know my vacuum line is short, not long enough to lift the tank and move it to the side.

Reactions: JohnPaul2007VTX1300

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
If the above excellent ideas do not solve the problem, given the age of the bike, it is quite possible that the vacuum lines have gotten old and that one controlling the petcock or near there cracked when you moved the tank. Look for this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow!! This is a fantastic forum!

Thanks gents...I will go down and start snapping some photos...

So as far as electrical is concerned, there was a previous stereo and I just cut the + - cables and piggy backed...so nothing was disconnected at the battery.

The bike cranks, everything works (including the stereo) but she won't turn off. If the kill switch is on, she won't turn...if it's off, she fires but won't turn over.

I undid the 1 bolt on the gas tank and slid the tank backwards and towards the left to work on the wiring on the right side. Here are some pics from this morning...battery has been on a tender and is fully charged.

The vent tube sits at a slight 90' when the tank is seated...I can't see any other way to get her dead straight.

This last photo is with the tank slid back and to the left and I'm lifting it for the shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to confirm, when the starter button is pressed, the motor turns over, but won’t run. If nothing was disconnected at the petcock, how did you remove the gas tank? What position is the petcock selector at? How much gas is in the tank?

That's right...I may have disconnected something at the petcock...I am very new to motorcycle engines...been turning wrenches on cars all my life. I attached photos below of the petcock...tank is full.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't know how many times I have missed one of the two things that @Fishingfoolemjak said. It usually always is one of these 4:

1) Vacuum and/or Fuel line to petcock not connected
2) Petcock not flipped back to On
3) Tank Vent connected, but line kinked
4) Engine Cut switch off

Since it sounds like you didn't disconnect the fuel and vacuum line to the petcock, I would make sure that the other side of the vent line didn't get pulled off. I know my vacuum line is short, not long enough to lift the tank and move it to the side.
I feel like I may have disconnected something from the petcock. The lines however, when the tank is seated, don't reach the petcock...I can't imagine I stretched them way out of their way just to slide the tank back...

·
Registered
671 Posts
That isn't right. When you are looking at the bike from the side, the petcock should be facing you, not turned to the front or back of the bike...

(Click on image for larger view)

Here is my petcock:

Vacuum Line side:

Fuel Line side:

Full View:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not sure what to say...does it twist? Did I twist it maybe when I was working on the stereo? Is that why the one tube doesn't reach?
I think you turned it when you pulled the tank back without taking the fuel line and vacuum line loose. You need to turn it back and reconnect the vacuum line. The reason it ran for a minute or so is due to the gas already in the carb.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm not sure what to say...does it twist? Did I twist it maybe when I was working on the stereo? Is that why the one tube doesn't reach?
Yes, you can rotate it. You can rotate it so it matches my pictures, just loosen the nut that you can see in the picture I posted above "Vacuum line side", twist the petcock so it faces out, then tighten it back.

You don't have to loosen it too much, if you do, you may start to lose fuel.

This is why you should disconnect the vacuum line and gas line at the petcock before lifting the tank. Also, remove the vent line close to the seat on the throttle side.

After that, you can tilt the tank up and place a block of wood. But at that point, you just have to disconnect the 2 green electric connectors (be careful with them they are brittle) under the front throttle side and you can completely remove the tank. It's easy after the first time.

·
Registered
671 Posts
THAT DID IT! Twisted it back...that one line just sitting there fit right...bike fired right up!!!

Thanks you guys! Absolutely fantastic forum! Safe riding everyone :)
Make sure you watch for leaking fuel at that petcock nut... If you were able to twist the petcock, it means the isn't tight. If you do tighten it, be careful to not over tighten it and do damage...

I can not rotate my petcock by hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make sure you watch for leaking fuel at that petcock nut... If you were able to twist the petcock, it means the isn't tight. If you do tighten it, be careful to not over tighten it and do damage...

I can not rotate my petcock by hand.
Good call...maybe I'll give it a snug.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's right...I may have disconnected something at the petcock...I am very new to motorcycle engines...been turning wrenches on cars all my life. I attached photos below of the petcock...tank is full.
It's ok not to know something. That's what the forum is for . No need to replace it with turning wrenches on cars your entire life. No one's judging at all. I just had like 5 members help me figure out what headlight and fog lamps to purchase LOL. So be free be yourself no question is a stupid question this is the VTX family !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's ok not to know something. That's what the forum is for . No need to replace it with turning wrenches on cars your entire life. No one's judging at all. I just had like 5 members help me figure out what headlight and fog lamps to purchase LOL. So be free be yourself no question is a stupid question this is the VTX family !
Well said!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts