Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a question does anyone have issues with the VTX 1300 starting when it is cold in the morning when you go to start it and it is cold outside it tries to start it acts like the starter is not engaging it has a hum or buzz noise or whining noise but when it's not cold it starts normally is this a common problem with these bikes

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
No, that is not a common problem. What is a common problem when it is cold is having the starter and engine turn over normally but having the engine not run well until warmed up. This is caused by the carb being cold and the lean A/F ratio on a stock bike. This is remedied by carb rejetting. What you are describing sounds like an electrical or starter problem.

Please describe your problem more thoroughly. When cold, does the starter motor turn over normally but the engine does not? Does the starter motor not turn over? Where is the hum/buzz coming from? is the hum/buzz mechanical or electrical?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, that is not a common problem. What is a common problem when it is cold is having the starter and engine turn over normally but having the engine not run well until warmed up. This is caused by the carb being cold and the lean A/F ratio on a stock bike. This is remedied by carb rejetting. What you are describing sounds like an electrical or starter problem.

Please describe your problem more thoroughly. When cold, does the starter motor turn over normally but the engine does not? Does the starter motor not turn over? Where is the hum/buzz coming from? is the hum/buzz mechanical or electrical?
Ok thx and when it is cold trying to start the engine tries to turn over but the starter sounds like it just hums like it's buzzing and it sounds in the area of the front of the engine where the starter is at I did rejet the carbs and I'm also sure that being carbureted and the cold weather does not help when it is cold until it is warmed up it does fine but when I go to start it the engine turns over until the starter decides to not engage it sounds like it just runs or hums buzzes

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
No 1300 expert here, but for ANY bike.....make sure your battery is in good shape by having it fully charged, and THEN removing it and taking it to an auto parts counter that will do a free 100 amp LOAD test, not volts! This will tell if it has a weak cell or more, and will GREATLY affect any starting -or- running issues. THIS is always the starting point for trouble-shooting electrical or seemingly electrical issues. And do yourself a favor and spend $25-$30 for a Battery Tender Jr. to keep it charged when not riding.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No 1300 expert here, but for ANY bike.....make sure your battery is in good shape by having it fully charged, and THEN removing it and taking it to an auto parts counter that will do a free 100 amp LOAD test, not volts! This will tell if it has a weak cell or more, and will GREATLY affect any starting -or- running issues. THIS is always the starting point for trouble-shooting electrical or seemingly electrical issues. And do yourself a favor and spend $25-$30 for a Battery Tender Jr. to keep it charged when not riding.
Thx for info but i know thats no problem its a new battery and i do have a tender charger also, im believing its electrical related maybe starter lol

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
When the problem is happening does:
1) The starter motor not spin,
2) The starter motor spins but the engine does not turn over,
3) The starter motor spins, the engine turns over, but the bike will not start running, or
4) Something else?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the problem is happening does:
1) The starter motor not spin,
2) The starter motor spins but the engine does not turn over,
3) The starter motor spins, the engine turns over, but the bike will not start running, or
4) Something else?
The engine turns over a lil but starter just spins like its not doing nothing the starter tries to turn but not long at all then just spins

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Okay, I am still confused by the words you are using. In particular, the words "spin" and "turn". You say, "starter just spins" and "then just spins" but you also say, "starter tries to turn" implying that the starter is not turning. I think of "spin" and "turn" as meaning the same thing in this context but it would appear you are treating these words as meaning different things.

When the problem is happening, does the starter motor shaft turn/spin? Does it continue to turn/spin? If it does continue to turn/spin, does it cause the engine to turn over?

My apology if I sound picayune but understanding the problem exactly will allow the reader to better help you determine if this is a problem with the starter solenoid, the starter, the "clutch" between the starter and the engine, the engine, etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I am still confused by the words you are using. In particular, the words "spin" and "turn". You say, "starter just spins" and "then just spins" but you also say, "starter tries to turn" implying that the starter is not turning. I think of "spin" and "turn" as meaning the same thing in this context but it would appear you are treating these words as meaning different things.

When the problem is happening, does the starter motor shaft turn/spin? Does it continue to turn/spin? If it does continue to turn/spin, does it cause the engine to turn over?

My apology if I sound picayune but understanding the problem exactly will allow the reader to better help you determine if this is a problem with the starter solenoid, the starter, the "clutch" between the starter and the engine, the engine, etc.
Lol its confusing to explain i guess im saying exactly what it is doing though, so yes starter spins or turns and continues to do so but engine wont turn over but sometimes the engine will turn over but not start then i try again then starter just spins or turns and engine wont turn over then other times its back to just starter spins and thats all, but only when cold but when not cold weather starts normally no issues at all hope that all explained a little better this time lol....if not oh well ill fig out hopefully....thanks for to help anyway

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok thx and when it is cold trying to start the engine tries to turn over but the starter sounds like it just hums like it's buzzing and it sounds in the area of the front of the engine where the starter is at I did rejet the carbs and I'm also sure that being carbureted and the cold weather does not help when it is cold until it is warmed up it does fine but when I go to start it the engine turns over until the starter decides to not engage it sounds like it just runs or hums buzzes
Sounds like the sound of your Fan , guess it would Not be your fan running if it was cold.
GREG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts