Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I sure hope that you can help me. The sun it out the temp is in the 70 and my bike will not start.

I have had this happen the past two days. I go out and my bike starts right off, then it idles for a while then peters out like I don't have the gas turned on (which it is). Last night I let it set and then about two hours later when back and it started right off and I was fine.

Today I went out, it started and died like I explained above. It is almost like it is not getting gas, but I have a full tank of new gas and I have ran about three tanks this season already. Today I took off the cover to my air filter, just to see what I could see. I noticed there seems to be oil in the bottom of the case. I cleaned it out and saw that there is what looks like a small drain hole in the base of the case leading to a tube out the back of the case. When I reach around and squeeze the tube, oul ouses (sp?) back into the base of the air filter case. Is this right???? Could this be my problem???? What should I do???

Signed,
Dying to Ride!!! :banghead:
Douglas

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The oily fluid in the air cleaner is totally normal. It's vapor from the crankcase vent tube that is connected to the backside of the air cleaner housing. Yes, there is a small drain hose at the bottom rear of the air cleaner housing to allow easier clean out.

I don't think that has anything to do with your starting issue. I would check and make sure all vacuum lines are in good condition and connected. The petcock on the 1300's is vacuum operated and if you have a cracked vacuum hose to that fitting it could cause your problem.

Also check the battery cable connections, tighten with a socket or wrench not a screw driver.

Also, there has been issues with wires breaking near the connector of the ignition module that sits on top of the battery. Look very closely at the black and green leads for signs of breakage.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
This seems to be a frequent problem with the 09 models and appears to be related to the vapor recovery or pair system. Cut off the fuel petcock. Pull the vacuum and fuel lines off the petcock. After a couple of seconds put them back on, open the fuel petcock and see if it cranks. We do not know how to fix this problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned the oily fluid out of the air box and drained the tube out the back. I hope that is what I was suppose to do with that. I also inspected all my tubes and hoses. All seemed to be in good condition. My bike is very pampered. I am going to try the suggesting from "The Old Fool" :>) and see what happens.
Thanks for the help everyone! I will report back!
By the way... This forum is great!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YES!!!!
The Old Fool was right on. I disconnected the tubes to the petcock and let it set. Then I reconnected them and it took right off and stayed running! Thanks everyone!!
:choppersm
Ridding Again!

Please don't be offended by me using "The Old Fool" instead of Richard. I just thought that screen name was funny! Thanks so much for your two wheeled wisdom!

Douglas

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
After this problem came up again, I sent an Email to Sixto inquiring if he had found a solution. Below is his response. I stated in my previous post that we don't know how to fix it - well, actually we do but no one has been willing to give it a try. Below is a link to another post I did back when we were working with Sixto that explains the problem - as I see it.

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=67090&highlight=sixto

Richard,

More info on the problem. I do know that the vapor lock prevents the vacuum line from pumping fuel. I tried pulling the vacuum line off the petcock, connecting a hose to the petcock and sucking on it but no fuel flows into the line. I found that I must disconnect the fuel line from the petcock to break the vapor lock first, before sucking on the hose to get the fuel to begin flowing. That's why I start with disconnecting the fuel line then reattaching it. Maybe you can figure out what's going on with this. Thanks.

Sixto

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Sixto wrote:
Good Morning Richard,

No, I never did find the cause of that starting then stopping problem. I've learned to live with it for now. I'm still trying to find someone that can explain to me what may be causing this vapor lock. Each morning after about 20 to 30 seconds my bike shuts off. I have to disconnect the fuel line from the petcock (usually I hear the vapor lock break) then reattach it. I then connect a hose to the vacuum side and suck on the line a few time to get some fuel to flow into the bowl, then reattach the vacuum line to the petcock. After that it starts and keeps running...no problems the rest of the day. The next morning I'm back to square one. I have an extra key so I have even tried starting in the morning with the gas cap open...that hasn't worked either. If you come of with any new ideas please let me know. It's good to hear from you Richard. :)

Sixto

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Richard wrote:
[SIZE=+1]Sixto - Did you ever fix that problem of starting and then shutting down on the 1300? Someone else has the problem.[/SIZE]

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Very strange problem to say the least.

CharlieD, is there any difference in the '09 carb that could cause this vapor lock issue?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Very strange problem to say the least.

CharlieD, is there any difference in the '09 carb that could cause this vapor lock issue?
If it is the calif. evap system it is a known problem and have been working on the solution as posted by Richard.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well, just to jump into the fray here, I had the exact same problem for years with my 06. In fact, there were several times that I was in a hurry to get somewhere only to be stuck for ages waiting for what I thought was a flooded engine to clear.

The vapor lock sounds exactly like what I had going on, but I will say that it mostly went away for me when I started tuning the carb. However, I thought I had it licked when it happened again as I tried to leave the hotel for a tech session... :banghead: Needless to say, that was somewhat embarrassing.

I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only victim of this issue and that there is a possible solution. I'm off to go read that thread.

Oh, well. I don't have a CA bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!!!!! I TOO HAVE THIS UNFORTUNATE PROBLEM. Thank you for all y'alls wisdom. Planning on riding to work today and start right up, idle for a second then she dies, and stays dead. I have changed all the vacum hoses when I first expeirenced this (a month ago) and then this morning! UGGHHHHH , so i disconnected the fuel line, heard the suck sound and replaced the hose, and YEAAAA she starts up. Thank you. A day without riding is like a day without sun! thanks again guys, I appericiate that!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts