Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a stebel air horn on their vtx1300R? I just bought one and am wondering if I have to fabricate a mounting bracket for it or buy one or can I use the stock mounting point?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I mounted mine on the frame on the left side - above (but not in the way of) the shifter - right about where the VIN sticker is. Used a U type clamp. A bit of effort but otherwise no prob.

Exhaust clamp specifically

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
We put Kenkos under the bike in front of the rear tire. it works fine and you can just barely see it. I did the same thing on mine and still have the stock horn working too. Get the relay kit it makes the job much easier. The stock wire aren't a thick enough gauge to operate the air horn properly. Without a heavyer gauge wire the horn will sound like a ruptured duck.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
When you hook it, it's my understanding you must also use a relay to activate the horn. I dont know yet. I dont have one. Keepus posted...

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
+1 on the wiring harness, makes it plug & play.

Pepsx makes a stebel bracket. I used a simple L bracket and mounted it under my bike.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I had to go threw some deep water running over the road multiple times a couple week ago and rode a long ways in a down pour - my horn stayed pretty dry.

Donut:patriot:

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
I had to go threw some deep water running over the road multiple times a couple week ago and rode a long ways in a down pour - my horn stayed pretty dry.

Donut:patriot:
hi doug how did you wire it in?? thanks Zippy

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
hi doug how did you wire it in?? thanks Zippy
The relay is mounter on top of the left side battery bolt and I ran the hot wire from the horn switch back to the primary pin #86 of the relay and pin #85 goes to ground. Pin # 30 is hot to the battery B+ and pin # 87 goes to the plus on the horn. The ground wire on the horn goes tho the bolt that holds the horn to the angle Iron with a eyelet.

Donut:patriot:Doug

·
Registered
114 Posts
The relay is mounter on top of the left side battery bolt and I ran the hot wire from the horn switch back to the primary pin #86 of the relay and pin #85 goes to ground. Pin # 30 is hot to the battery B+ and pin # 87 goes to the plus on the horn. The ground wire on the horn goes tho the bolt that holds the horn to the angle Iron with a eyelet.

Donut:patriot:Doug
How do you tell the difference between the positive and neutral leads for the horn?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I fabricated a simple L bracket and mounted it under the bike right next to the rectifier.

The only issue with that, the plug & play harness comes pre-wired and shrink wrapped. You need to take it apart to get the wires up to the neck where you'll find the factory horn wires.

·
NorthEast USA Rider
286 Posts
Put the Stebel Compact Nautilus air horn on my bike last weekend. WOW, what a blast!! You can also find out which wire is which by looking at the wiring schematic in the shop manual to see which color is positive and which is ground, then you can look at the colors on the wires that go to the old horn, which is what I did. I used a 1 1/2 inch Kury P-clamp to mount the horn on the frame tube on the left side right behind the radiator and well above the gear shift lever. Used several strong plastic ties to attach the relay to the same tube, right behind the horn, and did my own wiring with 14 gauge. The black wire and red positive wire are covered in black wire cover and feed back down the lower frame tube for a few inches to the foot peg, then head up underneath and inside the rear chrome cover (which you have to take off) then into the area behind the left side cover where the power distribution mod is, the black wire connects with an eye connector to the ground bolt on the power distribution mod and the red/positive wire goes to an open spot on the power distribution mod with a 20 amp circuit breaker installed. Works great!:choppersm

·
Gerry
83 Posts
Love my Stebel and had the opportunity to use it this morning on a moron driving a Ford Expedition who was on the frigging phone and drifted into my lane pushing me towards the median. Sent him back into his lane and another lane with a toot toot. Nice and loud! He exited quickly! Maybe to change his drawers...!:cheers:

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
Has anyone mounted a stebel air horn on their vtx1300R? I just bought one and am wondering if I have to fabricate a mounting bracket for it or buy one or can I use the stock mounting point?
So...did you ever get this figured out? This thread was started on June 8. I had a Wolo Bad Boy that was the same configuration as the Stebel that you have. I made a bracket for mine, and also made a couple for other folks too. I have since changed my horn, and now have this bracket that I would gladly send to you if you would like it. It mounts to the frame in front of the rear tire. Let me know, and I'll get it shipped out. If I hear from you, I'll look for some pics. If I don't...;)

Ray

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts