Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of installing new tires and changing fork fluid and was wondering if there is a way to check the steering bearing without pulling it apart. The bike had no wobble or vibration with the old tire which was suprising because it was completely worn out and cupping bad. Also, is there anything I can do to make sure that the tire is aligned after reinstalling the forks?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi Riellypeanut, if you have no wobble, and in over 40 years of riding Hondas i have never had a wobble except once with a bad tire, there are things to do, steps to take. First new tire, naturally, second, balance or dynabead tire, third, replace rear shock bushings, fourth, adjust
/seat steering stem bearings following procedure in honda or clymer shop manual.
For wheel alignment, have front wheels off the ground and by hand rotate the front wheel. There should be no heavy scraping sound from the front brakes. If there is, the front wheel is probably out of alignment and can be simply aligned by loosening the lower fork pinch bolts, aligning the axle with the groove/mark, this is done by tapping the left fork in one direction or the other, then retighten the pinch bolts and tighten the axle. It's not hard. There are probably web sites that show you how its done with either pictures or videos. Good luck! Bry

·
Registered
706 Posts
With the front wheel off turn the steeribg head. If it feels slightly bumpy as if there are small detents this is normal for stck bearngs. There should be no lateral clearence and no detectable end cleraence.
It is easier to do these tests if the shoch tubes are off. It is good practice to clean out the fork tubes. When you see what comes out you will lnow why.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. What does everyone use to wash out the fork tubes? I was thinking parts washer fluid unless something else will work better.
Thanks

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Thanks for the info. What does everyone use to wash out the fork tubes? I was thinking parts washer fluid unless something else will work better.
Thanks
I use auto trans fluid and some brake clean

dump old oil out and let drain upside down a few minutes then spray break clean in and pump them a few times dump that then auto trans fluid and pump them a few times and dump I do this 2 times to each leg.

Then put some of the 15.5 oz of the new oil in and pump them a few times this is why I take everything apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts