Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 1800R, I put a batwing faring on her. Well now she gets a good shake when going over 100 and when you get behind a big truck. I'm looking for a steering stabilizer for her. Some help finding one would be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
Perhaps it has been done but I've never heard of a steering stabilizer being put on a VTX. Before doing that, I would work on the angle and alignment of the fairing and try putting on some fork mounted lowers to see if that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps it has been done but I've never heard of a steering stabilizer being put on a VTX. Before doing that, I would work on the angle and alignment of the fairing and try putting on some fork mounted lowers to see if that helps.
Maybe a stupid question but what are fork mounted lowers

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
In addition to making sure the fairing is aligned you need to check the steering stem nut. They get loose over time and need to be adjusted.

Reactions: vtx-1300

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In addition to making sure the fairing is aligned you need to check the steering stem nut. They get loose over time and need to be adjusted.
I will check that. I know people have HD from factory that do the same thing as mine. I've aligned it good before I about 80 mph it would do it, now it doesn't start moving till about 110. But its when you get be hind the 18 Wheeler that it moves.

·
Registered
18,247 Posts
Age and condition of the tires, amount of psi being used, front fork alignment, worn rear shock bushings can all do what you describe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Age and condition of the tires, amount of psi being used, front fork alignment, worn rear shock bushings can all do what you describe.
Tires are like new, never had any problems with this till the faring got put on. Rear shock bushing are still original so I can check those.

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
Run 38/40 psi in the front/rear tire, respectively.

·
Registered
18,247 Posts
Tires are like new, never had any problems with this till the faring got put on. Rear shock bushing are still original so I can check those.
Rear shock bushings should be centered in the shock 'eye' if you can't see a thin ring of bushing completely around the bolt w/o taking it off, then the bushing appears to be worn oblong. Once you take the shock off you will see it is shot, probably split or many cracks. They were not designed to last long and are cheap enough and easy enough to replace every couple of years. When replacing them, get the 'green' replacements. Somewhere on here is the P/N for ordering.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
842 Posts
Shock bushings--------the green ones52489-HN0-671

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
Note that the O.P. has a VTX1800 and is asking about a "shake" on that bike. The VTX1800 comes stock with the green bushings. These are made from some sort of hard plastic and are VERY durable - much more durable than the black rubber bushings that are stock on the VTX1300. It is possible that the green bushings will fail and they should be checked for concentricity as indicated above but do not be surprised if they are in great shape. On a VTX1300, the black rubber bushings always fail and they fail pretty quickly.

·
Registered
18,247 Posts
Note that the O.P. has a VTX1800 and is asking about a "shake" on that bike. The VTX1800 comes stock with the green bushings. These are made from some sort of hard plastic and are VERY durable - much more durable than the black rubber bushings that are stock on the VTX1300. It is possible that the green bushings will fail and they should be checked for concentricity as indicated above but do not be surprised if they are in great shape. On a VTX1300, the black rubber bushings always fail and they fail pretty quickly.
Umm, no, they did not come stock with the green bushings. Especially the older models. Maybe on some later models, but not 'across the board'. My '03 1800 had the OEM black junk ones. Lucky to get 2K out of any of them.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I will check that. I know people have HD from factory that do the same thing as mine. I've aligned it good before I about 80 mph it would do it, now it doesn't start moving till about 110. But its when you get be hind the 18 Wheeler that it moves.
YOU'LL NEED ONE OF THESE TO DO YOUR STEERING STEM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Me, I'd slow down. I just drove down from Atlanta on a 1300. Up Monday from Stuart Fl down Tuesday. Trucks generally traveling at 75 some pushing it at 80. (there are no big trucks doing a hundred) Nothing going to help you stabilize when you are passing a truck at 85, nothing. At 80 the law is giving drivers a pass on the 75,10 and 95 interstates. A hundred is enough to get you popped. These big dogs don't handle well at those speeds; if you want to move at a hundred look for an inline four with full fairing. i've had my zx 11 up to 160/165. (i know definitely a go to jail card) i have that spread because when you are traveling that fast it is scary to look down for more than an instant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like has been said, slow down. Now regarding the shaking it's all based on balance. If your batwing isn't true just like an unbalanced tire, it will shake. Even if it is mounted true if there's anything from a pack of cigarettes, a pair of gloves, radio wiring, or a cup holder involved that can make it unbalanced it is going to shake. Wanna do 100? Get a crotch rocket and go to the track.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts