Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Stereo Wiring HELP

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  tlarson 
#1 ·
I'm Looking for someone who knows about wiring a stereo (Honda VTX 1300). I know how to hook up a stereo, this is the 3rd one I have installed !
This one I am having problems with , I am getting static thru my speakers.
STORY . .

I the first time I hooked it up (a Week ago) I was getting static thru my Speakers when I took it for a test drive, As I was riding I turned it on, and it did NOT come
on, NO power. I pulled over and tried to turn it on again and it came on, but was still getting BAD static in my speakers. then the stereo Quit working again.
The funny thing is when I hooked it up in my Garage it Played fine, till I took it for a ride.

I pulled my seats off to check the battery and wire connections, I pulled the Battery ground off the engine and cleaned it, thoe it looked Fine. I turned the
stereo ON while putting it all back together to make sure there was no problems and it played Fine. When I took it for a test drive, the Static came back, seemed the louder I turned it up the worse it got. I pulled back into my garage, I cut the engine and Left the stereo on to see if it was engine noise, causing static
from the engine. The static did NOT go away when I turned the engine off ?? It was playing good before I rode it.
I am just getting Static now, Power NOT cutting out .

I don't know what it could be unless it's the speaker wire connections ?? HELP ! I need my music when I ride

GREG / Texas

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm Looking for someone who knows about wiring a stereo (Honda VTX 1300). I know how to hook up a stereo, this is the 3rd one I have installed !
This one I am having problems with , I am getting static thru my speakers.
STORY . .

I the first time I hooked it up (a Week ago) I was getting static thru my Speakers when I took it for a test drive, As I was riding I turned it on, and it did NOT come
on, NO power. I pulled over and tried to turn it on again and it came on, but was still getting BAD static in my speakers. then the stereo Quit working again.
The funny thing is when I hooked it up in my Garage it Played fine, till I took it for a ride.

I pulled my seats off to check the battery and wire connections, I pulled the Battery ground off the engine and cleaned it, thoe it looked Fine. I turned the
stereo ON while putting it all back together to make sure there was no problems and it played Fine. When I took it for a test drive, the Static came back, seemed the louder I turned it up the worse it got. I pulled back into my garage, I cut the engine and Left the stereo on to see if it was engine noise, causing static
from the engine. The static did NOT go away when I turned the engine off ?? It was playing good before I rode it.
I am just getting Static now, Power NOT cutting out .

I don't know what it could be unless it's the speaker wire connections ?? HELP ! I need my music when I ride

GREG / Texas
Oh PS.
I was playing the music off a USB , Not the radio, so it's NOT a signal problem

#4 ·
Try to ground it to the frame and not the battery. You may also need an inline filter on the 12v+ side. I used the spot where the pair valve was mounted as my grounding point.

#5 ·
Thank you , I just went to the garage and turned my stereo on, it sounded like Crap. Good News, I have a bundle of wires zip tied shoved under my headlight, I lifted up on the bundle of wires and the Noise STOPPED.

So that tells me that's where the problem is !! I could still be the speaker wire connection, I will have to cut all the
zip tires and wiggle each wire to find it, But I am Very Happy about that. I've been working on it on and off for a week, It's so hot in the garage with sweat running down your face, so I just work on it in the mornings.
TEXAS , cooling off here, going to get down to 99* . FALL . . . hahaha

GREG

#7 ·
What is losing power > your stereo ? I don't know what COB lights are ? Is there a problem if your COB lights are off ? There are different reasons for something cutting off & on. I would start checking your wiring. I started with my Battery connections and ground, My wiring may be crappy, I have ruled out Battery and ground connections.
I found when I lifted up on a bundle if zip tied wires, it fixed the problem, so I got a bad connection in bundle of wires somewhere. I have Not looked at it yet but at least I know where to look Now.

I have the headlight and 2 fog lights, Is that what you mean by COB ?
I have my Fog Lights and my stereo, and trunk and saddlebag lights on a separate switch , I didn't want it to drain all the power when trying to start my bike .. I have a Test Light which is VERY helpful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.