Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, After replacing my stock mirrors on my 1300R, I noticed they vibrated quite a bit. Not as bad as some maybe, but still enough to be an annoyance. I could tell a vehicle was behind me, but not a lot more.
So, I first removed the mirrors from the shell. Then I got a tube of kitchen and bath caulk from my local big box, and put half the tube contents in the lowest part of the shell on each mirror. After drying overnight, the caulk was skinned over, but still quite pliant. I expect it to harden further as time goes by.
Anyway, I put the mirrors back in the shells, and took it for a test ride. WOW!!!! Although nothing will totally eliminate the vibration, I can honestly say it is better than the stock mirrors when it was new. :)
What a difference. Not only can I see vehicles behind me, but I can tell whether its a car or truck, whatever, AND I can see it quite clearly.
Best of all the fix cost me less than $5, and only took the drying time to complete. Try it if your mirrors vibrate. It may help, and sure can't hurt.:bleh:

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
How did you get the mirrors out without breaking them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
great idea but be cautious

great idea but be cautious to avoid getting any of the wet silicone on the back of the glass portion of the actual mirror as depending on the quality of the mirror and the actual brand of silicone it can cause some degradation of the reflective qualities of the mirror. Again this is only true if there is wet silicone allowed to dry on the back of the mirror glass.:choppersm

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
great idea but be cautious to avoid getting any of the wet silicone on the back of the glass portion of the actual mirror as depending on the quality of the mirror and the actual brand of silicone it can cause some degradation of the reflective qualities of the mirror. Again this is only true if there is wet silicone allowed to dry on the back of the mirror glass.:choppersm
Maybe a wax paper barrier? Cool idea!
Add me to the list of wanting to know how to do it w/o breaking the mirror taking it out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting the mirror out is really simple. I took a pocket sized straight blade screwdriver, the really small type, and inserted the blade between the METAL shell and rubber trim. Very slowly, rotate the blade to a straight up position between the metal and rubber trim, NOT BETWEEN THE RUBBER AND GLASS. After it is straight up, gently push the blade down to below the glass level, then pry the glass straight up. Go slow with this step, and it should pop up easily. The mirror will slowly pop out. BE GENTLE with this part. Fill the metal cavity to a level LOWER than the glass, you can tell by the ring around the metal shell, and place flat on a table until dry, or at least overnight.
When you put the rubber trim with the glass back into the mirror shell, I found by wiping the rubber trim and metal case with a solution of dish soap and water, the trim will just pop into place.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dennis .. just out of curiosity, what brand of aftermarket mirrors did you buy? Have you had any aftermarket ones that didn't vibrate? Looking to buy some for myself.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
After drying overnight, the caulk was skinned over, but still quite pliant. I expect it to harden further as time goes by.
FYI...RTV Silicone reacts with the moisture in the air to cure. By installing the mirror back in the housing, you probably still have un-cured caulk in there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Getting the mirror out is really simple. I took a pocket sized straight blade screwdriver, the really small type, and inserted the blade between the METAL shell and rubber trim. Very slowly, rotate the blade to a straight up position between the metal and rubber trim, NOT BETWEEN THE RUBBER AND GLASS. After it is straight up, gently push the blade down to below the glass level, then pry the glass straight up. Go slow with this step, and it should pop up easily. The mirror will slowly pop out. BE GENTLE with this part. Fill the metal cavity to a level LOWER than the glass, you can tell by the ring around the metal shell, and place flat on a table until dry, or at least overnight.
When you put the rubber trim with the glass back into the mirror shell, I found by wiping the rubber trim and metal case with a solution of dish soap and water, the trim will just pop into place.:)

Just a note for those with the stock mirrors and vibration...

If you are careful, you can get the glass out of the stock mirror doing exactly as Dennis describes... Once you have them apart you'll discover that the gasket/seal is actually a cover and covers the back of entire mirror.
And, silicone won't be required as the stock mirrors have a fairly heavy spring with a locking nut for adjustment. Works Great!

Oh Yeah - I sprayed a little 'Armor All' on the seal as I was removing and again as I re-installed it. Goes back in easily and cleaned the rubber up nicely.

Again, this is Only for People with STOCK MIRRORS

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to clear things up, these are NOT the stock mirrors. I bought them at J&P Cycles in Daytona. As with most aftermarket mirrors, they had a vibration problem. Sorry, I don't know what the brand name is, but they cost around $20 for the pair. As for the silicone not drying, I expected that. Seems like to me that would add to the anti vibration dampening effect. And besides, if this doesn't work out, I can just open the mirrors up and remove the stuff.:beer:
My stock mirrors were beginning to get rust on them from the salt air here in Florida. So I replaced them, begining the problem.
As I said, if it works, great. If not, no biggie. Just thought I'd share what I did to help my problem.:coffee:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Will this work for the stock mirrors? For some reason, my left mirror vibrates so bad I can only tell something is behind me, not what. My right hand mirror is fine almost all the time.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
mirrors

Great idea. I've never had any succes with anything but stock and reverted back to my stock mirrors, as i couldn't see #$%t out of aftermarket. Wish I had you tip before I sold them.
P

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a follow up. Since I posted, I have found this really does help. There is still a small amount if vibration, but not nearly as bad as before the silicone. I can really notice a big difference before and after.:cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts