Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Christmas coming up, I am getting the normal "what do you want this year"? Of course things for the "X" always come to mind. Next summer I will be taking a two week trip from Michigan to Colorado and touring the state on the bike, being gone that long of time I am thinking of what would be a good luggage system with alot of room that would attach to my sissy bar. Anyone out there have a good system with lots of room and lightweight too? Thanks for any imput.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
If you're riding solo, you'll be able to haul a virtual suitcase on the passenger seating area....Combined with a good size set of throwover bags should do it...

Last summer, My fiancee' and I went to the Honda Homecoming in Ohio...We left home on Thursday morning, and headed back on Saturday afternoon....So we spent three days/two nights out, so we didn't have to pack as much as for a longer trip...But with two of us, there was still alot of stuff to take...I bought the biggest bags I could get from www.jafrum.com also scored a Hondaline tailbag off ebay, and packed our clothes and stuff to take in the motel room in Jenny's Dale Jr bag....We've already decided that for a longer trip, I need to get even bigger saddlebags, and probably a hard trunk...A few months after I bought my bike, I was planning on building it up into a touring rig...I'm adding a fairing over the next year, along with the hardbags and trunk..We want to do a tour around the lower penninsula of Michigan....Go all the way around the mitten, taking our time, and seeing every cool thing we can...I'm hoping that she'll have her own bike by then, and the packing for the trip will be a bit easier...Here's a picture of us on the way back hoome from the Honda Homecoming last July....

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
You might want to think about a luggage rack to suppot whatever you decide on, it makes it easier to secure gear. You can always take it off when your done if you don't like it.

Bass if you get near the Bridge on your journey cross and come on up. You can stay in the garage[see my album on the man cave]. It's really great riding country up there. If you think you might PM in advance. Twoheart you are welcome to stop by also.

·
33,457 Posts
Bass if you get near the Bridge on your journey cross and come on up. You can stay in the garage[see my album on the man cave]. It's really great riding country up there. If you think you might PM in advance. Twoheart you are welcome to stop by also.
Thanks for the invite!!!...Not sure about crossing the bridge though....We both want to, but I'm EXTREMELY scared of high places...When I used to run back and forth to eastern PA/NJ in the semi, some of those bridges in the mountains used to completely freak me out!!!!..Not sure I could do it on a bike on that big bridge....I take it you have a place up there as well as in Florida??..Your screen on posts says you're in Florida....:confused: :hmm2:

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
The bridge is five miles long and 4 lanes across, stay on the black top not on the grates and you'll be fine. Just watch the car in front of you and don't look at the water. Only other option is to come by land at the other end of the pennisular. Look at my profile and my albums they should say I have 2 homes. Have a great day.

·
33,457 Posts
the bridge is five miles long and 4 lanes across, stay on the black top not on the grates and you'll be fine. Just watch the car in front of you and don't look at the water. Only other option is to come by land at the other end of the pennisular. Look at my profile and my albums they should say i have 2 homes. Have a great day.
10-4!!!!!!!!...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bass and Wanderingbear, thanks for the info and the invite, bass, wanderingbear is right about the bridge, stay on the blacktop, those grates are terrible to ride on, your front wheel feels like you it wants to go back and forth. If you get on the grates don't fight the wheel, it really is just more of a funny feeling than dangerous, If you are afraid of heights, this bridge is far above the water. I am afraid too, but like wanderingbear said, just concentrate on the car ahead which is too bad because the view is fantastic, If you get the chance visit Mackinaw Island, pricey to get over there on the boats, but a really nice place to visit.

·
33,457 Posts
Bass and Wanderingbear, thanks for the info and the invite, bass, wanderingbear is right about the bridge, stay on the blacktop, those grates are terrible to ride on, your front wheel feels like you it wants to go back and forth. If you get on the grates don't fight the wheel, it really is just more of a funny feeling than dangerous, If you are afraid of heights, this bridge is far above the water. I am afraid too, but like wanderingbear said, just concentrate on the car ahead which is too bad because the view is fantastic, If you get the chance visit Mackinaw Island, pricey to get over there on the boats, but a really nice place to visit.
In know all about those metal grates and bike tires....Been across those before...If we go over that bridge, I'll just have Jenny snap a bunch of pics, and I'll check them out when back on solid ground!!...LOL!!

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
You can't take your bike to the Island there are no gas power vehicles allowed on it. It's like stepping back in time with todays prices:bleh:. You can rent bikes[pedal] or go on horse drawn carriage rides though. They call the tourists Fudgies becuse of the tons of Island fudge sold. The UP is a totally different places than the Lower, I know I'm a transplant to the UP, grew up near Detroit. Did you see "Somewhere in time" with Christopher Reeves? That was shot on the Island at the Grand Hotel. Boy I sound like a travel agent.:bleh: Later guys:cheers:

·
Registered
222 Posts
The bridge is five miles long and 4 lanes across, stay on the black top not on the grates and you'll be fine. Just watch the car in front of you and don't look at the water. Only other option is to come by land at the other end of the pennisular. Look at my profile and my albums they should say I have 2 homes. Have a great day.
Or go with Metzler tires and the metal grates will not be near the issue for you any more like night and day :coffee:

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,385 Posts
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Nylon-Motorcycle-Tour-Pack/2087378/product.html

check this bag out....it's very nice and well built.....I used it for a week and had too much room! great price......the same bag as other companies like Dowco........attaches to the sissybar in front or behind, like so many other bags......remember, the bigger the bag, the more stuff you will want to put in it and the heavier it is when you take it off the bike! I also double bagged my stuff in large zip lock bags...you can find them in walmart or a store like that......it does not come with a cover, but you can use a large heavy trashbag...you should carry a few with you anyway in case you buy stuff too large for your bag!

·
Registered
222 Posts
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Nylon-Motorcycle-Tour-Pack/2087378/product.html

check this bag out....it's very nice and well built.....I used it for a week and had too much room! great price......the same bag as other companies like Dowco........attaches to the sissybar in front or behind, like so many other bags......remember, the bigger the bag, the more stuff you will want to put in it and the heavier it is when you take it off the bike! I also double bagged my stuff in large zip lock bags...you can find them in walmart or a store like that......it does not come with a cover, but you can use a large heavy trashbag...you should carry a few with you anyway in case you buy stuff too large for your bag!
+1 on the zip lock bags

I have also bought the vacuum bags at wally world (Walmart) you pack your clothes in them then vacuum out the air and really compresses the clothing for storage. Works great if you have a Vacuum on the other end. I under stand allot of people take what they need then go to the post office and ship their dirty items home during the ride to save space.

I have also read a few articles where people that are doing cross country treks rent mail boxes via the phone at different places they know they will be stopping then ship their gear to the boxes and swap clean for dirty clothing. I thought it was a pretty good idea for packing light.

But then again My lovely wife will pack the bike like we are never coming home again. I myself am more of the mind set a few par of drawers 2 pair of jeans and a few t’s and I am good for a few days LOL

(PS EPI I never got to take my trip this summer like I wanted to but the falls are still on the hot list for destinations)

Be well

RackDoc

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,385 Posts
+1 on the zip lock bags

I have also bought the vacuum bags at wally world (Walmart) you pack your clothes in them then vacuum out the air and really compresses the clothing for storage. Works great if you have a Vacuum on the other end. I under stand allot of people take what they need then go to the post office and ship their dirty items home during the ride to save space.

I have also read a few articles where people that are doing cross country treks rent mail boxes via the phone at different places they know they will be stopping then ship their gear to the boxes and swap clean for dirty clothing. I thought it was a pretty good idea for packing light.

But then again My lovely wife will pack the bike like we are never coming home again. I myself am more of the mind set a few par of drawers 2 pair of jeans and a few t’s and I am good for a few days LOL

(PS EPI I never got to take my trip this summer like I wanted to but the falls are still on the hot list for destinations)

Be well

RackDoc

the vacuum bags are ok, but the very large blue zip lock bags hold enough underwear for a week or more.....I put individual items like that in each bag so all I had to do was pull out the bag and there they are! then I used one beg for dirty stuff.....dont need a vacuum for them, judt lit on them and close!

Rackdoc, you know you have a standing invite whenever you come this way!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was once promoting Ensueño Fabric softener here in the NW.
Never mind that I had no table or cart. Never mind that there were 4 bottles of the stuff in the store and the discount coupons couldn't be used. Never mind that fabric softener is unpopular here. It is not manly. Not even most women use it.
One of the features of this particular softener is that the fragrance lasts for 31 days. I told the shoppers that they wouldn't have to bathe for 31 days. I also cautioned them that since the product is biodegradable they should avoid rain and especially mud puddles.
Cheers

·
Registered
16,115 Posts
This thread, and an old one at that, was about travel bags for the bike and packing same for long trips. WTF does that have to do with fabric softeners?

·
Super Moderator
9,750 Posts
Perhaps it was meant as an alternative to washing. Spray it on your clothes and they do not stink and then you do not have to wash them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts