Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had new rubber put on the bike. As I was riding it home, I noticed a strange sound from the rear end. It had a slight vibration with the sound, but I couldn't reproduce it or pinpoint it at first. I finally noticed that it happened consistently as I was coasting to a stop. It happens every time at when I go above 30mph, and then decelerate without using the brake. At 30mph it makes a strange noise, like a rubbing, or something loose, and quickly stops. I have checked everything I know to check, it never did this before the new tires, but I don't know what would've changed. I can't figure it out at all. HELP!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just had new rubber put on the bike. As I was riding it home, I noticed a strange sound from the rear end. It had a slight vibration with the sound, but I couldn't reproduce it or pinpoint it at first. I finally noticed that it happened consistently as I was coasting to a stop. It happens every time at when I go above 30mph, and then decelerate without using the brake. At 30mph it makes a strange noise, like a rubbing, or something loose, and quickly stops. I have checked everything I know to check, it never did this before the new tires, but I don't know what would've changed. I can't figure it out at all. HELP!
Also, brakes are good, just replaced. Was serviced at the beginning of season. (Less than 3k miles ago).

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,659 Posts
Even though the brakes were serviced before the tires, they still have to come off when changing the tire. Check to make sure everything is back together like it is supposed to be.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even though the brakes were serviced before the tires, they still have to come off when changing the tire. Check to make sure everything is back together like it is supposed to be.
I checked the brakes and calipers. Everything looks as it should. This noise only happens at 30mph as I decelerate.

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
Probably not very helpful but when I hear strange noises from my rear-end, I try laying off the beans and cabbage for a while.

• Haha
Reactions: MPD193 and henkvdb

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Sir Isaac Newton though would warn you that doing so would negatively impact your miles per gallon.
:unsure: :geek:

·
Registered
17,587 Posts
You mentioned new brakes- maybe the noise is normal wearing in of the new pads to the rotor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My rear shocks make a strange noise sometime very loud vibrating noise at 34-35mph.
Never happens when gf is on the back preloading the shock springs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts